Japanese 1/16 scale A Class midget submarine build.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MFR1964
    replied
    Put that boy against the wall and demand his permission or release mister Cat on him, it's a shame that such a model is gathering dust in the Cave, very interested in such a model, size is OK, type is OK, must have!!!!

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by Von Hilde
    Yeah Man, thats what I'm talkin about. Monofilloment weld seams. I find the monofiliment works well around the lateral seams but the longatudinals, you dont have to try keeping it tight and streight so much, if you use super slinkeyextra light e .10mm electric guitar strings. Tack one end and line it up ang glue away. Another trick is to glue the line and paint it, then pull the line off when its tackey. Let it dry and lightly sand, then recoat. Leaves a nice little visible scar. Did he build two different boats with similar hulls or is it the basic same hull with different towers ?
    The first shot was of Gene Berger's scratch-built 1/32 Type-A completed last year. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1658.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	93500 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1657.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	93501 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00069.jpg
Views:	5
ID:	93502 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00087.jpg
Views:	3
ID:	93503 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5913.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	93504

The one Adam and I worked on (Adam was apprenticing here for a few months, and this was his training mule) is 1/16 scale. We only got to the master stage -- no tooling has been completed. It's all still here, but its Adam's, and I won't touch it without his permission.

M

Leave a comment:

• Von Hilde
    replied
    Yeah Man, thats what I'm talkin about. Monofilloment weld seams. I find the monofiliment works well around the lateral seams but the longatudinals, you dont have to try keeping it tight and streight so much, if you use super slinkeyextra light e .10mm electric guitar strings. Tack one end and line it up ang glue away. Another trick is to glue the line and paint it, then pull the line off when its tackey. Let it dry and lightly sand, then recoat. Leaves a nice little visible scar. Did he build two different boats with similar hulls or is it the basic same hull with different towers ?
    Last edited by Von Hilde; 02-26-2015, 02:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by trout
    On that last photo, is Adam injecting A thinned down Nitrostan into the sail?
    Not into, Tom. Onto.

I taught Adam how to use fishing line, and air-dry and exothermic liquids/slurries to work as 'weld lines'. Examples of those techniaues below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0090.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	93485 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0101 (2).jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	93486 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0095.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	93487 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0184.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	93488 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0185.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	93489 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0196 (2).jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	93490 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0088 (2).jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	93491 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0091.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	93492 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0095 (3).jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	93493 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0097 (2).jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	93494 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0100.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	93495 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0098 (6).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	93496 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0099 (4).jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	93497

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    On that last photo, is Adam injecting A thinned down Nitrostan into the sail?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Will do, David. I'll work on a proper thread post throughout the day. Should have plenty of pictures and associated text ready for posting here tonight. Adam is an incredible talent and it was a pleasure working with him on this project.

M

Here's a tease:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5916a.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	93478 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0031.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	93479 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0079.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	93480 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0131.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	93481 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0163 (3).jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	93482 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0171.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	93483 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0192.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	93484

Leave a comment:

• Von Hilde
    replied
    Great, I have been pondering such a build. The H 19, a boat that I am quite familliar with and have had some sentimental attachment to her. The boat itself is a perfect r/c project for an EZ driver. Simple design, not many parts to fall off as far as detail goes. They wernt deep divers, and basiclly operated at periscope level. onlyone set of dive planes and the rudder, so 3 channels only, unless you want torpedos working. The complexity of the project is the countra props set up. Adams model you speek of has a transmission gearbox that simply blows me away with the enginearing and craftsmanship. I would like to build one like it. Maybe not with the machine tooling decore. That thing should be on display, and not hidden away in the bowls of a Ko Hyoteki in the pool. Im looking at brass gears and where to find them, now. Perhaps, Dave has an Idea of where to dig up the material, and drawings required. Gear ratios would be criticle. Dont want to go buy a box of assorted to dig around in. Im about done with pickin thru the plastic ones I have, and still have a pile I wont use. 1/16 is a good scale, around a 4 foot model. One would need a large pool to turn around. No problem here. Mine , however will have a most likley unusual scale, as the hull size will be dictated by the size of the Easton slow pitch aluminum bat's diameter at the fat end, if you get my drift. Should be able to accept a 2.5 inch driver or at least a 2" Those bats arnt cheap, but you can pick up a used one in the pawn shops or Ebay, or your son's closet. Looks like the girls bats are fatter and lighter which translates to thinner wall in the fat end and cheaper, as well as availibilty in the used market. Ive had my eye out for a nerff bat made from PVC, but havent seen any laying around the yard sales for a buck or two. Might be an option
    Last edited by Von Hilde; 02-26-2015, 09:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Davidh
    started a topic Japanese 1/16 scale A Class midget submarine build.

Japanese 1/16 scale A Class midget submarine build.

Hello all

I have asked if HWSNBN could post photos of a fantastic build that he and Adam Carlson did several years ago.
    David has graciously offered to post the pics taken during this build. I hope he suffers a case of pictoral diarrhoa with this one!

Go for it Dave!

David H
Working...