X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cliffhanger67
    Lieutenant
    • Oct 2013

Recab-r system problem

OK, maybe some one can help me what's going on my subs propulsion system, a RECAB-R. see attached diagram. this system used to work until one day I decided to clean up my workmanship ( check the wire joints, and fix loose parts).
    the air pump runs with out any command from the transmitter. as soon as the system is turned on, it runs. the command should be move the ch 4 on the transmitter to the right to activate it to compress air from the bladder to dive. the command to open the N/C solenoid valve is by moving the lever on ch 4 to the left to release the compressed air to the bladder inflating it for buoyancy (to surface). but the system is not responding to this command. to check the solenoid valve, I connected to a direct power source. it worked therefore eliminating question on it's condition. since the pump is running, the ES2 is getting power. just that it is not doing what it's supposed to do. I checked my ADF2 set up. nothing wrong came up. one thing I could not redo is to debug the ES2 altho I have done it already. it is not responding to the debugging protocol.
    I brought in new parts:ADF2, ES2, and LIPO Guard. calibrated ADF2 successfully. ES2 do not respond to the debugging protocol. so I tried using these new parts with still the same out come. I tried one new part at a time and finally all new parts.
    summarizing, Air Pump runs with out command, N/C Solenoid Valve will not open to command. help! I am going nuts.
    note, all the parts are from the British Fastener catalog Sub Driver except the Solenoid Valve.
    Attached Files
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Did you try controlling the ES2 from any channel but ch-4 yet? Are the end-points at the transmitter set correctly for ch-4?

This MPC might be in your future: http://www.sub-driver.com/accessorie...oller-psc.html

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

OK, just read your original thread on this POS RCABS-R you are having problems with (what a surprise).

The ES2 is fried -- you're fault isolation steps strike me as reasonable and thorough. It's the frig'n ES2. Replace it with the MPC I recommended previously.

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• cliffhanger67
        Lieutenant
        • Oct 2013

Ok guys. Thank you for all the feed backs. I found the problem. I went back to the original components combination before it stopped working. I checked every connection and terminals. I did it several times and still the command to open the solenoid valve, ie surface is not responding. I said to my self one more try. took apart and reassembled again. I just lightly connected the T connectors together on the pump and solenoid valves as I was getting tired. turn on the system. it worked! so I said it's time to final assemble it into the tube. I pushed the T connector tight on both pump and solenoid connector. it stopped working. I started to examine the solenoid connector to various engagement. it will not connect if fully seated together. I left about 1/16" gap between the plastic housings. reassembled. now it is working. whew, so simple but I failed to find it using a voltmeter.

Comment

• Aug 2008

thanks for getting back to us with what you found and how you fixed it. It adds to the communities knowledge base. You stuck it out, worked at it and made it work. Good stuff.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• cliffhanger67
            Lieutenant
            • Oct 2013

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am happy to report that the project boat "SSGN Harpoon-04" is now running great. I posted the last run on U Tube found by that name. I must say this. once the RECAB system got working, it is great. I can adjust my buoyancy so well that I can hoover at the depth of the top sail for slow speed dynamic dives or sink it deeper for static diving. The project was full of gremlins. So many things that gets to be an issue. The worst are electricals. Crumming the wires causes electronic parts wiring connections to fatigue (lipo guard to battery). Then there was the bad t-connector. The pump could not hold the pressure constant. I added a check valve. Took me two solenoids to get a good one. Then the air volume in the closed system decreases. Repeated cycling (compress into cylinder, expand to the bladder) in say about 30 minutes of play time, the air needs to be recharged. I tested it under water to see where it is escaping. No clue. I took apart the air system. found that the bladder and air cylinder have water. How? Maybe condensation? Anyway, I now know that when the sub level and trim changes, time to clear the water inside these parts until I can figure out how water got in. For now, I am happy I have a functional sub to play with until the next GAREMLIN appears. Time to go back to my gas diver SSBN Harpoon-02 which I have problem with the rear plane control. I will post it.
            Last edited by cliffhanger67; 02-20-2015, 10:33 AM. Reason: Added more info

Comment

• cliffhanger67
              Lieutenant
              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
              Did you try controlling the ES2 from any channel but ch-4 yet? Are the end-points at the transmitter set correctly for ch-4?

This MPC might be in your future: http://www.sub-driver.com/accessorie...oller-psc.html

M
              Sir,
              I am at the point of trying something better to replace the ESC2. I opened the link you provided, but could not see anything that is equivalent to ESC2. Under what classification or heading is it, or can you tell me it's name?
              Thank you very much again for the suggestions.

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

The link has changed.....try this:
                Exceptional scale models, accessories and RC components with a focus on military, sci-fi and fantasy submarines.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• cliffhanger67
                  Lieutenant
                  • Oct 2013

I found a better pump and solenoid valve. I do not think I can NEATLY adapt the controller shown that mounts on the end of the Nautilus pump shown as to be soldered into the pump end. I operate my pump at 14 psi and zero bubble leak solenoid valve helps keep the air.

Comment

• cliffhanger67
                    Lieutenant
                    • Oct 2013

I like to share my discovery of great air pumps and solenoid valves. They are very reliable and rated at million cycles. Parker Hannifin Co makes them. I used solenoid valve 991-000506-07. For pump rated up to 20 psi, I used E107-13-090. The pump just zips thru to the pressure in seconds, no waiting for a struggling pump. The valve is zero bubble leak rated. these two components made it possible to make my RECARBS work.

Comment

Working...