1/144 U-Boat Type VIIC/41 KNM Kya (ex-U-926)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zhuravlik
    Lieutenant
    • Mar 2011

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160517_001439.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	114326

Lately i've been tempted to quit with this project, been tempted to build the boat in 1/72, been tempted to simplify and build a dynamic diver...
    That's because i've realized that simply i can't shovel more than 10ml in the piston. 10 ml are 10g and the thing must at least be able to pass from deck awash trim to sail barely visible trim.
    So I begun to sand and scrape deck pieces, halving the weight of them in the process. Sail will be almost certainly a delicate piece of vacuformed styrene...
    Since I was scraping, why not to scrape away some more styrene to open limber holes?
    Also, i've been sidetracked, committing to finish a COREL sloup coquiller for my father before his birthday. Well, mission accomplished.
    Anyway, i've seen too many 1/144 conversion projects abandoned lately and i really don't want to increase the count.
    This thing will work!
    Last edited by zhuravlik; 05-16-2016, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

Good for you. More pictures!

Comment

• zhuravlik
        Lieutenant
        • Mar 2011

What do you want to see, Hard Rock?Click image for larger version

Name:	20160515_220744.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	114325

Comment

• zhuravlik
          Lieutenant
          • Mar 2011

Name:	20160517_014142.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	114330 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160517_013002.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	114331 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160517_013635.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	114328 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160517_014030.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	114329

About propulsion, I'm practically forced to a twin 6mm direct drive motor setup. Fortunately I found a couple of 6mm motors with a 8mm long shaft.
          Scraped some more styrene to find some space for stern tiefenruder linkage but there is very little space here...

Comment

• HardRock
            Vice Admiral
            • Mar 2013

Fantastic. How long will the motors run in the wet before giving up?

Comment

• zhuravlik
              Lieutenant
              • Mar 2011

AFAIK water does not penetrate those small coreless motors, they are kinda sealed.
              And Pietro Calvi's motor is still going strong.
              Trout's Aluminaut uses pagers in the wet too:

Comment

• HardRock
                Vice Admiral
                • Mar 2013

Yep. I read Trout's tread as he was doing the Aluminaut. It was great work. I'd love to do one of those things but I don't think they are available anymore. Interesting idea running DC in the wet; its kind of counter-intuirive. Water + electricity is usually not a great combination. As an aside, I once owned some cargo ships and one of them developed an earth leak which began a process of electrolysis that damn near cut it off at the waterline. When we found it the 9mm stell plate was done to less than 4mm. Exciting!

Comment

• zhuravlik
                  Lieutenant
                  • Mar 2011

I've just finished to solder ESCs and servos directly on the RX surface.
                  Rx has been mounted on the servo block, to keep all as short as possible.
                  There is very little surface on the stern bulkhead where to drill the three holes I need.
                  One for the 3mm o.d. brass tube to feed water to the piston and other for two 1,5mm brass rods to feed the motors.
                  Both the tube an the rods will work together to hold the piston assembly and electronics in place.
                  The good news is that I have some 6mm to spare. I can increase piston capacity by about 2 ml !

Name:	20160524_045842.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	114475 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160524_051234.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	114476

Comment

• HardRock
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Mar 2013

You are a mad man (or a genius - hard to tell at this stage).

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by zhuravlik
                      I've just finished to solder ESCs and servos directly on the RX surface.
                      Rx has been mounted on the servo block, to keep all as short as possible.
                      There is very little surface on the stern bulkhead where to drill the three holes I need.
                      One for the 3mm o.d. brass tube to feed water to the piston and other for two 1,5mm brass rods to feed the motors.
                      Both the tube an the rods will work together to hold the piston assembly and electronics in place.
                      The good news is that I have some 6mm to spare. I can increase piston capacity by about 2 ml !
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n114475[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n114476[/ATTACH]
                      You are a crazy man!!!! This work is slick!

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                        Detail Nut of the First Order
                        • Sep 2010

And they call me a nittpicker!!!, welcome to the dark side!!

Manfred.
                        I went underground

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

You are never the same after working this small. It messes up the mind. That is a really small receiver, what frequency is it and who makes it?
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• zhuravlik
                            Lieutenant
                            • Mar 2011

Thank you guys for the compliments.
                            I love small models, swinging between planes and subs.
                            Last autumn I've made a 8g profile model of a Hawker Sea Hawk: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=284
                            First indoor flight for my new jet. Deltang RX43d, BiM 20mm DF with cheerson cx10 motor.

It uses a 0,43g Deltang rx43d with itty bitty solder pads: that was a good training!
                            Manfred, that's not nitpicking to me, your torpedo loader is... And how about gluing rivet heads? :)
                            Trout, the receiver I'm using is a Graupner XP8 Pico 40Mhz and, yes, it messes up the mind!

Name:	20160524_205330.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	114494

Comment

Working...