X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ConcreteTurtle
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jan 2009

Scaleships Akula II

I got home from work on Friday to discover that a very long package had arrived from Belarus.

Woo! the 1:96 scaleships Akula II hull of the Vepr had arrived.

Add this to a recently acquired mtroniks ESC and things are really moving along nicely for my first sub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kit_Small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	99474

The kit is well detailed and very thorough, I'm sure I've started this hobby the right way with this bad boy. All the scribing is crisp and clear, the drawings are great, and there are only a few locations which need some filler. (What filler do you gents personally recommend?)

There is a bit of spring back in the halves, which will hopefully be taken care of by the plywood ribs that will hold the sub driver in place.
    On this topic, how do you create the profile for the ribs so they open the hull out to the correct shape? I was thinking I'd make a template in MDF for the outside of the hull (diameter based off the drawing), then clamp the hull to this and use gap filling resin to attach a roughly shaped rib inside.

Name:	Periscopes_Small.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	99475

The masts and periscopes deserve special mention. As I've said before, I'm new to all this, but the attention to detail and workmanship for the masts in my opinion is second to none.
    I seem to be missing the search and attack periscopes and I think the snorkel mast, but I've sent off an email to Vladimir so hopefully that will be cleared up soon.

Name:	Workbench_Small.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	99477

I was really keen to get working on the hull so started out by removing most of the flash from the lower hull leaving a little lip to even out once I get the 2 halves trued up and mated together.

The first hole was also made, opening up a limber hole in the bottom hull, ready for the attachment of the brass photoetch parts.

Name:	Limber_Small.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	99476

As you can see, I got a little over zealous with the flat needle file and scratched the darn thing. Another candidate for some filler and 600 grit.

So that's where I am up to, looking forward to some quality time opening up more limber holes tomorrow.
    And as soon as I get my invoice form Caswellplating, I'll add an SD 3.5 to the mix and fill up the rest of my workbench with putting that kit together as well. ;)

Thanks again to everyone for the help getting to this stage, as always all input / advice is welcome.

Cheers,
    CT.
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ConcreteTurtle
    , how do you create the profile for the ribs so they open the hull out to the correct shape? CT.
    I use cardboard to make pattern. It's stiff enough and can be easily be trimmed to shape.
    Cut the bulkhead a bit oversized. Then use 1" beltsander to do final shaping.
    Last edited by toppack; 02-21-2009, 01:19 PM.
    Rick L.
    --------------------------------------------
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
    Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Nuke Power
      Banned
      • Dec 2008

On mine I measured what I wanted the final diameter to be. I then made a circle with a compass on the abs plastic sheet i purchased. I then cut it out on the scroll saw. I did a few test fits and used a file to get it snug. I prefer a file over the belt sander for this because you can always take more off but getting it back on is a real *****!

Another good thing is to go ahead and make your circle for the Sub Driver before you go cutting. That way it will be a perfect fit. Ofcourse this al depends on if you plan on making the cylinder center line or high or low in the boat. I think Mr Meriman should comment on that one.
      Last edited by Nuke Power; 02-21-2009, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rogue Sub
        On mine I measured what I wanted the final diameter to be. I then made a circle with a compass on the abs plastic sheet i purchased. I then cut it out on the scroll saw. I did a few test fits and used a file to get it snug. I prefer a file over the belt sander for this because you can always take more off but getting it back on is a real *****!

Another good thing is to go ahead and make your circle for the Sub Driver before you go cutting. That way it will be a perfect fit. Ofcourse this al depends on if you plan on making the cylinder center line or high or low in the boat. I think Mr Meriman should comment on that one.
        I think you should mind your own damn business, bilge-rat Nuke!

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Nuke Power
          Banned
          • Dec 2008

OK retard knuckle dragger what does that have to do with helping this guy out hmmm?
          WHy dont you make yourself useful and stop wasting mike's bandwith and server memory?

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

CT

give me a few weeks to get the new baby under control and the wife back on a more normal sleep pattern and I'll get you to come over. We need to utilise each other given where in the same city!

You'll be able to report back here as to how much of a moron and hard core 72nd scale looser I really am!

It looks great mate.
            Take your time with it.

I am glad you are posting here too. You and I will continue to learn lots.

John
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
            Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Nuke Power
              Banned
              • Dec 2008

John dont forget to show him your breathing apparatus.

Comment

• ConcreteTurtle
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Jan 2009

Rogue Sub and Toppack,
                Good tips on getting the rib profiles right, I've still got quite a few limber holes to open up before I get around to it, but now I've an idea of what to do. Thanks.

Vladimir has already sorted out the missing periscopes (within 8 hours of sending the email!), so I'll have those in the next few weeks as well. Anyone who is considering buying a kit form him, I heartily recommend his service and the quality of his kit.

Slats,
                I'll definitely take you up on that kind offer, it'll be good to see your Alfa in the flesh, and that great looking Collins you're working at the moment as well.

As for the sub driver kit... About a week back I sent the list of items I wanted and my address for shipping so I could get an invoice, and haven't heard anything yet. Should I submit this info through the support system on caswellplating.com?

More pics / progress to come shortly I hope...

CT
                Last edited by ConcreteTurtle; 02-21-2009, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• Slats
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Aug 2008

CT have PM'd you and sent an e-mail too.

J
                  John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                  Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• ConcreteTurtle
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Jan 2009

Hi All,

Had a great Sunday afternoon, drilling, dremeling and needle filing the rest of the limber holes in the bottom half of the hull.
                    I had completely forgotten how much fun you can have at a workbench.

Name:	Lower_Limber_Small.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	56758

As you can see from the scratches where I've been a little over zealous, more speed and less haste is required with the needle files. At least these scratches are superficial and will disappear under a bit of filler.

I've been using one of the photo etch limber doors as a guide for opening up the holes correctly. These brass parts really add a dimension of detail to the hull. They give nice, sharp lines.
                    Once I summon up the courage to crack open the zap-a-gap, I'll start adding the brass parts to the boat permanently.

Name:	Sail_Grille_Small.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	56759

I've also roughed out the small grille openings on the side of the sail (all the better to get air to the LBP.) But if I'm honest it's mainly, because they look dang cool.

Speaking of the sail, I wonder if it's feasible to razor saw the openings in the top of the sail? Or should I cut them out and replace with styrene sheet?
                    The resin is quite thick at the very top of the structure, so it might be a struggle to get nice looking hatches from it.
                    Any sage words of wisdom and experience in this situation?

Otherwise I'm continuing opening up the other penetrations in the halves.

Name:	Grille_Small.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	56760

There are small square grilles, marked No. 3 in the above image, where there is no corresponding marking on the hull.

My plan, from reading the forums is to make up a surface gauge and pencil in the locations of the features and then open them up. Does anyone have a good recipe for a home-made surface gauge? Or an alternate method?

Anyway, wish me luck and patience in getting the topside limbers done without all the nasty scratches.

Thanks for reading along, and all the help.

CT.
                    Last edited by ConcreteTurtle; 02-23-2009, 06:41 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

• Aug 2008

Surface Gauge

Here, try this on for size:
                      Attached Files
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Nov 2008

David,
                        I'm surprizer you haven't put a patent on that tool accessory. ;)
                        Last edited by toppack; 02-23-2009, 09:43 AM.
                        Rick L.
                        --------------------------------------------
                        * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
                        Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Nuke Power
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2008

"Speaking of the sail, I wonder if it's feasible to razor saw the openings in the top of the sail? Or should I cut them out and replace with styrene sheet?"
                          No need to do that. Look in the photo etch kit. New hatches are supplied and they are very pretty. Vlad has a tendency to make those sails thick. My first one had about an inch of resin in the sail. #2 hand about 1/4" of resin and #3 has about a 1/2" in there...go figure.

As for the those #3 details. Your going to have to measure to get them right. I just use a flexible ruler.

I can see you wan to get this boat done right CT. Let me suggest you pick up this book.

It has great phots. Alot of them you wont find on the net.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
                            David,
                            I'm surprizer you haven't put a patent on that tool accessory. ;)
                            Can't. I stole it.

David,
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ConcreteTurtle
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Jan 2009

That's bang on Mr. Merriman, thank you!
                              I've got just the bit of chipboard for the job in the garage, and a nice glass sheet to move it all around on.

Rogue Sub,
                              Flexible ruler, that's a good idea as well.

Thanks guys!
                              CT.

Comment

Working...