• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cconeill
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Dec 2010

builing a bronco 23.

Hi Guy's
    I ordered rcsubworkshops wtc for this kit. it is not good. but spent the money so I am reworking it. I cut new bulkheads, which now fit very nice. small gaps which the glue will fill. I shortened the wtc since I want to go dynamic on this one. I also centered it. I may be way off or pretty close?? we shall see. any input from the SUB GOD would be welcomed!!!
    Attached Files
  • crazygary
    Captain
    • Sep 2012

Please keep us informed of the "rework"! If not too terribly costly, may well work out for those of us with limited funds, but with all the desire needed to become sub sailors!

Best of luck!

BTW: Your new bulkheads are looking pretty well done to me, but then again, I'm still a "sub-grasshopper"!!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Nice work. I believe the expansion rates of acrylic and styrene are about the same, so that won't be an issue -- just make sure you adhere the bulkheads with an RTV silicon (Permatex gasket-maker, blue), to allow for the slight shift between the two materials with quick temperature changes (dunking a hot model that has been sitting in July sun into much cooler water).

You were too kind as to your description of this WTC 'kit'. I'll say what you won't: it's a pile of warmed over **** in a pizza-box!

You're making a silk purse from a pigs ear. Good solid work. Keep at it, pal.

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• cconeill
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Dec 2010

Thanks Dave. I am having a blast. lets see how it turns out???? to scary Shaggy:))))) so just RTV. I was going to jb weld the frame in then rtv around both sides.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by cconeill
          Thanks Dave. I am having a blast. lets see how it turns out???? to scary Shaggy:))))) so just RTV. I was going to jb weld the frame in then rtv around both sides.

Good plan. A weld backed up by caulking. What could go wrong?

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by cconeill

Good plan. A weld backed up by caulking. What could go wrong?

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• cconeill
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Dec 2010

glued in the frames set my shaft. looks really good. I will rtv all the seams once the lips I installed dry. this way when I mount the top I can squish the silicone and fill the seam. hope all this works like I picture it in my head??? these are very cool.
              Attached Files

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Excellent work. I am jealous of your hull long cut. It looks well done.
                The linkage for the rudder, are you going to open a hatch back there?
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• cconeill
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Dec 2010

yes. I am working on one thing at a time. and trying to control the urge to hurry. it needs to be water tight. as for my cut. not perfect. the end cuts are ugly. but I will fix that. never be afraid to make a mistake. this is about having fun. as long as it runs. who cares. just do your best. there is only one SUB GOD!!:)))
                  Last edited by cconeill; 01-19-2014, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Looks nice. What are those white rectangular pieces in the bottom?
                    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• cconeill
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Dec 2010

vent plugs. I will rtv over them.

Comment

• cconeill
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Dec 2010

here is what I have done for now. working on my xcat. will be wild.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Looks like the Bismark, and a type 7 and the 23. Couldnt tell you about the Foreign looking PT boat. Since your going to have a lot of nuts to take off that WTC, you might think about getting a Li-ion screwdriver and hex adapter to make it quicker.

Comment

• cconeill
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Dec 2010

trumpeter Bismark, revell VIIc, italeri M.A.S. pt. that screwdriver will be a must have. this is old school. but it works. I hope??????

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Should work if you ballast the hull low enough in the water and your motor/prop have enough push. I ran the Albacore that way for a month back when I first got started. Worked great in the pool.

Comment

Working...