X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

USS Plunger 595

After a long hiatus from subs -assembly starts tonight.

This is my seventh Permit class sub, and third USS Plunger SSN 595. I like the class of sub, (a lot).

My first RC scale sub was a based on a Ships N Things kit of this class.

Over the years I used Permit class sub kits to hone my skills and to test and evaluate new ballast systems I have messed about with. All my previous Permits have been passed on to fellow RC submariners with a lot of new guys buying the boats as turn key entry subs to the hobby.
    All are still running today.

Although all my previous Permits were built as boats from later years (towed array fairings + mini sail), this one is I intend to do as she was just after she was commissioned with a fairly clean skinned hull. She is also what I consider to be "a keeper" part of the permanent home fleet.

The boat kit comes from HMK Creations in Canada and I understand from Joel is his last production kit. A great reason to have this to hang on to.

First job tonight is clean up the hull and various parts and get any and all left over mould residue off the parts so as to allow proper adhesion of adhesives and paints.

Ok - for the knowledge gurus of the SD Forum, what external sensors (if any) would an early Thresher / Permit class carry early 1963?

Here are three photos of her from 1963 - note the lack of mini sail, towed array fairing and pretty much clean hull

Gorgeous - ain't she

The boat will be kitted out with a 3.5" SD with SAS that David is finalising right now.

Photos coming tonight (hopefully) from the workshop.

Best

John
    Last edited by Slats; 01-14-2014, 11:10 PM. Reason: historical photos added
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

John,
    Thank you for building again. I am excited to learn from you.
    Peace,
    Tom
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
      John,
      Thank you for building again. I am excited to learn from you.
      Peace,
      Tom
      Likewise Tom,
      many thanks

J
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• crazygary
        Captain
        • Sep 2012

She's prettier than "3 speckled pups", Slats!!

Looking forward to following your build!!

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

So John, HMK is done with all kits, or just the Permits?
          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
            So John, HMK is done with all kits, or just the Permits?
            Mark -I am fairly sure its the lot.

I understand from Joel the Astute is not going to be a production kit, he'll make 3 only. One for him and the other two for myself and Jim as one off bespoke kits as we prepaid in full.

J
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Albion
              Captain
              • Dec 2008

Bummer, I would have signed up
              Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jan 2013

Good to see you back with another build John!! When do we see some pic's of the hull for this beastie?(the Permit)

Which boat have you picked her to be?(the Astute class not the Permit...)

It is sad when a producer of hull's cease's production (In both Targets and subs) Having a variety of people selling different ship classes is great for the hobbyist but can be tuff on the producers!(tiny economy of scale in RC scale model ship area) Its hard enuff for someone to get a start selling hulls.....

Cheers Bruce
                Last edited by HvyCGN9; 01-17-2014, 05:03 AM. Reason: crap spelling

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by HvyCGN9
                  Good to see you back with another build John!! When do we see some pic's of the hull for this beastie?(the Permit)

It is sad when a producer of hull's cease's production (In both Targets and subs) Having a variety of people selling different ship classes is great for the hobbyist but can be tuff on the producers!(tiny economy of scale in RC scale model ship area) Its hard enuff for someone to get a start selling hulls.....

Cheers Bruce
                  Tell me about it, Bruce.

Long, long, long hours producing yet-to-be-determined-commercial-viability product; the usual production problems; and the 101 wrong moves made by the idiot in the shop. A tough game producing product for the hobby trade on such a small scale.

Joel's work is outstanding, and his dedication to getting good product out the door is second to none. A very good man -- a true Craftsman.

Not many of us left now. Soon, 3D printers will do everything .... even making our food. Hello, Star Trek.

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ManOwaR
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jul 2009

Dave,
                    Thanks for the very kind words. I think you hit the nail on the head pretty much in your summation of the situation. At any rate, I'm not closing the doors per say on HMK but have put a hold on any new orders for awhile. I don't want to end up being one of these guys who takes an order with the customer receiving it finally a year and half later...Just not fair to anyone. With that being said, I'm going to start tinkering again on that Astute shortly, and the plan for production will be a batch large enough to recoup costs for prototyping materials and partial time etc. The batching will done to avoid having to set up the shop for production repeatedly, because I hate doing that! So, for those wanting one or have some interest, maybe just drop me a friendly line so I can have a rough idea of what to expect.

Regards,
                    Joel
                    https://www.facebook.com/HMKcreations

Comment

• Slats
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Aug 2008

Cheers Bruce
                      Bruce
                      I'm doing the Plunger - a permit class. Permit class is nothing like an Astute.

The Astute Class is a modern day UK Nuke. That boat is in the pipeline with Joel, for himself me and Jim Russell in the future and from Joel's last post - enough numbers to make it worthwhile..

J
                      Last edited by Slats; 01-18-2014, 07:49 AM.
                      John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ManOwaR
                        Dave,
                        Thanks for the very kind words. I think you hit the nail on the head pretty much in your summation of the situation. At any rate, I'm not closing the doors per say on HMK but have put a hold on any new orders for awhile. I don't want to end up being one of these guys who takes an order with the customer receiving it finally a year and half later...Just not fair to anyone. With that being said, I'm going to start tinkering again on that Astute shortly, and the plan for production will be a batch large enough to recoup costs for prototyping materials and partial time etc. The batching will done to avoid having to set up the shop for production repeatedly, because I hate doing that! So, for those wanting one or have some interest, maybe just drop me a friendly line so I can have a rough idea of what to expect.

Regards,
                        Joel
                        Be worth the wait Joel - you're the best at this period.

Cheers

John
                        John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Jan 2013

I know your doing Plunger mate, I mean't which ASTUTE class will you be doing ??? (when ya get hull)

Cheers Bruce

Comment

• Slats
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Aug 2008

I know your doing Plunger mate, I mean't which ASTUTE class will you be doing ??? (when ya get hull)

Cheers Bruce
                            probably Ambush mate.

I look forward to seeing you at Narracoote mate.
                            My accomodation is booked and I should have Plunger, Albacore and a couple of targets with me.

J
                            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Jan 2013

I look fwd to it mate! I will have both CGN's, USS Shark and my Salvage tug there. Hopefully we will be able to get Chris (oztruck) down (as a guest since he ain't a member at the mo but I'm working on that!!) with his I-25 IMO it should win the club engineering award! Which doesn't appear to get handed out very often

Cheers Bruce

Comment

Working...