Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alad61
    Commander
    • Jan 2012

I'll be there for sure as I have booked our accommodation and paid the fees to Triple S. I know what else doesn't help with the spelling and grammar and that is using the virtual keyboard on my HTC phone...BLUSHER

I've been checking its class on the web. I like its look and I am impressed about the amount of free board. It must have rolled some in anything but calm seas? Can't wait to see what you do with yours.
    Cheers,
    Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
    But to dream is a reality

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

By my Dead Reckoning, a U class boat(Victoria) was 230.5 ft. long. At 1/72 scale that puts her at around 38" long. Very Nice indeed. I find my envious eye studying the pictures. When will you get it did you say???
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
        By my Dead Reckoning, a U class boat(Victoria) was 230.5 ft. long. At 1/72 scale that puts her at around 38" long. Very Nice indeed. I find my envious eye studying the pictures. When will you get it did you say???
        just to give you boys an update on this.

There are a few problems Jon is ironing out with the hull.
        Boat No.1 which I received bowed outwards significantly from her beam in both upper and lower hulls - this meant she shrunk length wise. The upper and lower beams moved outwards at different rates too.

As this boat is Carbon fibre all my skills of heating to get her back into her shape failed. Carbon fibre for all its strength benefits, IMHO, has some big drawbacks, and as Jon told me you need a lot of heat (oven temperatures) to get her back in shape - way way beyond my skill base boys. I can also tell you working with Carbon fibre (cutting and sanding) is the biggest PITA too.

The boat is back with Jon in Canada, whom might redo it in GRP, or use some other molding methods.

All up - its a great first attempt - the detail is stunning, but the boat needs some structural improvements, which I'm sure Jon will achieve.

Best

John
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Carbon fibre is also a superb radio shield, meaning you will have to run an external aerial. Have it moulded in glass, the weight difference will be marginal. Only use carbon for aeroplanes, where the high strength is beneficial, complete overkill for a sub IMO.

Amazed at the shrinkage you report. I've never seen serious movement on any of my glasswork, and I use mostly polyester resin- high shrinkage. But I do strap or peg the mouldings. I'm assuming John used epoxy resin. Haven't done much work with this type of resin, but what I have done suggested bugger all movement once cured.

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
            Carbon fibre is also a superb radio shield, meaning you will have to run an external aerial. Have it moulded in glass, the weight difference will be marginal. Only use carbon for aeroplanes, where the high strength is beneficial, complete overkill for a sub IMO.

Amazed at the shrinkage you report. I've never seen serious movement on any of my glasswork, and I use mostly polyester resin- high shrinkage. But I do strap or peg the mouldings. I'm assuming John used epoxy resin. Haven't done much work with this type of resin, but what I have done suggested bugger all movement once cured.
            Wow - learned something Andy- had no idea about the Radio shield. - Many thanks
            I think he is heading back to GRP.

Cheers

J
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Every day is a school day.

Comment

• Slats
                Vice Admiral
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                Every day is a school day.
                Andy, between you, Joel Stadnick, and Merriman - we're spoiled for choice.

Thanks again.

J
                John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

Working...