• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

3.5" Skipjack SAS SD + value of a good nap

To All,

Hooked up all the components of the Skipjack SAS SD tonight on the bench just to see if it all worked -- It didn't.

Two problems:

1) The off/on switch on the Mtronix 15 ESC had no effect. The motor worked as controlled by the servo eliminator box (did not use a receiver nor transmitter at this point - more on this later) but it did not matter if I turned the ESC on or off; it just was always on. Tried a second ESC - same result. I've had this problem before - what was the fix again? Break out the manual - RTFM - of yeah, must break the red wire to the ESC if an external receiver battery is used - it was - I did. Plugged in my little "No red wire jumper" set and all was well. The off/on switch now controlled the ESC and everything worked fine.

Time to try the transmitter with a receiver---

2) Nothing - absolutely nothing. The ESC came on but no other servos connected to the receiver worked at all. OK, vary one variable at a time to trouble shoot. Remove the transmitter/receiver and go back to servo eliminator box. All was OK. Substitute the transmitter and receiver in the circuit - nothing. Double checked all battery voltages - all OK - what the Hell? This went on for about 45 minuted. Very tired - call it a night - get some rest - just one more look at the problem.

Full Homer Simpson "DOHHHH!!!" moment. I had been using my 50MHz Transmitter with a 75MHz receiver. Swapped in my Sombra SL8-HAM 50 MHz receiver - all went well.

Pictures of my build will follow.

Moral to this farce - sleep is SOOOO important.

Commander Drowsy
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Idiot!......................................
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
      Captain
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      Idiot!......................................
      Yes, thank you for all your support and encouragement.

Where did I put those pink shorts pictures again?

Dan

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ha!

Get some sleep. We'll re-engage tomorrow.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
          Captain
          • Sep 2008

proposed location for antenna lug

David,

As you can see, I've removed the existing antenna lug from the bulkhead. I felt it was too close to the motor can for connecting an antenna lead to it. I know it could be done but I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone: a) give myself more room to connect a spade lug to the inside post to connect the antenna and b) physically move the antenna a little farther away from the motor itself.

I would like to create a new antenna lug at the spot indicated by the red "X" (see attached picture...Click image for larger version

Name:	proposed location for antenna lug.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	77067) but thought I would check with you first to make sure that if I drill a hole at that spot I wouldn't be drilling into the internal gear drive in the bulkhead. If I install it there, I'll still be able to use the antenna wire and strain relief mounting that is already there.

I know you used brass #4-40 hardware for the antenna lug. I'll probably use brass #6 hardware as it's easier to handle with my aging fingers.

Please advise,

Dan

Comment

• Aug 2008

Remove the motor-bulkhead back-plate to be sure you don't drill into the nylon bevel gear. If you're clear, drill away. Sure, a 6-36 stud is fine.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
              Captain
              • Sep 2008

David,

I removed the motor back-plate (nice design BTW) and I should be OK to drill and mount another antenna lug at the spot indicated in the photo.

Sorry to butcher your handiwork but I just didn't feel confident in attaching an antenna wire so close to the motor can inside the WTC. There was literally less than a millimeter between the lug and the motor can. To me it was a short waiting to happen. I realize I could've put some electrical tape in there to shield against this possibility but, as I said, if I move the antenna lug out to the red "X" I get the antenna away from the motor both electromagnetically and physically.

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Comment

• Aug 2008

No sweat, Dan. What's this beast going into, the SKIPJACK?
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  No sweat, Dan. What's this beast going into, the SKIPJACK?
                  Don't quite know yet. My plan is to have it go into more than one sub. Although it's overkill for some of them - will add removable foam in the ballast tank or sub if necessary - right now the list of possible candidates includes:
                  1) Thor 1/96 Seawolf,
                  2) Scale Ships 1/96 Akula,
                  3) IOR 1/56 Alfa, or
                  4) Moebius 1/72 Skipjack,

If I can swap in your "2 motor - 2 shaft" rear end for the existing 1 motor drive (hoping you've allowed for this possibility) I can add these to my potential candidates:
                  5) Scale Ships 1/96 Oscar,
                  6) Sheerline 1/24 German Type IID, or
                  7) MBD 1/35 British "U" class

Through the years I've been keeping a careful eye open for people who, for one reason or another, want to sell their unfinished or mangled kits. I pounce on these opportunities for some great deals. I don't have all the candidates on my "hit list". I have a few - enough to keep me busy for a few years if I don't end up in the corner drooling on myself first.

Dan
                  Last edited by roedj; 04-19-2013, 02:50 PM. Reason: modiifed the "hit list"

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ellie has instructions to hand me the revolver the moment I start to loose it, so that matter is settled. I'm currently watching a neighbor slip into that, 'good night'. No thanks -- if it hits me and there's no fixing it, I want the express train out of here. I'm not going out like that!

As to the above candidates for the 3.5" SD:

A tad over-kill for some of them, but all will work fine with this SD. Put the foam in the boat not the SD's ballast tank. Swap out between the single and duel-shaft motor-bulkheads is fine, you got room for either one in that cylinder.

You cheap SOB .... how are Mike and me going to make any cash dealing with you!?

I think you should buy seven SD's right now and that way you'll be ready for the kits when you get around to them. Think: reverse mortgage! There you go. That's the ticket!
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2008

David,

Thanks for that sound financial advice. - I'm 1/4 Scottish - and it's not cheap, it's frugal.

BTW, if, when the time comes for the "express train", you don't feel up to it - let us know. I'm sure we can find someone to "help" although we may have to go a lottery system.

Dan

Comment

• Aug 2008

LOL. "take a number, sit down, and wait your turn like the rest of us, damit!"
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...