X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

Leaks, Leaks, Leaks

Skipjack is almost finished but I have found a crack in the bottom of the sub-driver. Unfortunately it runs across the seal and allows water to enter the WTC at about two drops a second. Wondering if its fixable or if the simplest and best solution is to get another casing for the sub-driver?Click image for larger version

Name:	P3190217.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	102250Click image for larger version

Name:	P3190221.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	102251
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Ouch! I suspect rought handeling between us and you. Was the crack present when the SD arrived?

OK. Here's the fix:

Pull the screw out and dig into the crack with a burr bit about 1/16" deep by 3/32" wide, this channel to extend 1/16" past the end of the crack. Punch a stress relief 1/16" hole where the crack ends. Place thin formula CA into the channel and 1/16" hole you just drilled. Don't soak it, just enough CA to wick into the crack, then apply some baking soda. Blow off the excess baking soda and apply more CA, then more baking soda. Keep this up till you have a mound of the CA-baking soda filler about even with the surface of the cylinder. File to contour. Re-insert the 6-32 machine screw and test for watertightness.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Hardrock, great looking boat! You ought to make a builders thread on it.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
        Hardrock, great looking boat! You ought to make a builders thread on it.
        Yes, looks great! More shots of your work, please.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
          Ouch! I suspect rought handeling between us and you. Was the crack present when the SD arrived?

OK. Here's the fix:

Pull the screw out and dig into the crack with a burr bit about 1/16" deep by 3/32" wide, this channel to extend 1/16" past the end of the crack. Punch a stress relief 1/16" hole where the crack ends. Place thin formula CA into the channel and 1/16" hole you just drilled. Don't soak it, just enough CA to wick into the crack, then apply some baking soda. Blow off the excess baking soda and apply more CA, then more baking soda. Keep this up till you have a mound of the CA-baking soda filler about even with the surface of the cylinder. File to contour. Re-insert the 6-32 machine screw and test for watertightness.

David
          I didn't notice the crack when I unpacked the box however the indexing hole for the shock absorber is off to one side rather than along the axis of the three large holes at the bottom of the ballast tank. In any case, I'll get busy with the CA and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• HardRock
            Vice Admiral
            • Mar 2013

Thanks. I really enjoyed making it.
            Attached Files

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Very nice looking sub. Do you have any build photos?
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HardRock
                Vice Admiral
                • Mar 2013

Unfortunately not. Sort of got carried away with and forgot to stop.

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

Success!

David,

Thanks for the advice regarding the leak. The fix seems to have worked OK. Its not pretty but it is effective! First run in the pool this afternoon after a thorough leak test in the bath. Performed very well; in fact its speed surprised me. A bit more trimming and playing with linkages before I'm completely happy but well on the way.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...