X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crazygary
    Captain
    • Sep 2012

Hobby Boss 1/350 USS Virginia

This is more of an "investigative-research" type thread, at this point.

I am looking to r/c this sub, and was wondering if anyone has undertaken the conversion before?
    I'll be building a 1" diameter wtc for her, which it appears can be up to about 7" in length.
    Was, originally, considering making her a dynamic diver, via the forward diving planes, but since
    there will be more available room in the cylinder than previously thought, I think I would like to make her
    a static diver. The aft planes look to be pretty much out of the question as far as making them functional!! Hence the reason for utilizing the forward planes.

I'm hoping not to bite off more than I can chew, but am really inspired by the piston type air system
    in development by Trout, and his Aluminaut. Which is pretty cool r&d work!! Thanks so much for your posts!

Am also considering cobbling up something akin to Mr. Merrimans "Snort" system, with Davids "blessing",
    of course!!??

Any input will indeed be greatly appreciated as this will be my first sub build!! Yeah, I know, David!! It's the Faberge Egg thing, again!!

Was going to start with my Trumpeter Kilo, but this is intriguing the heck out of me, and being crazy in the first place, it just seemed like a "natural"!! Hah!! Besides, I still have way too many active brain cells that I gotta clean out!!

Thanks, in advance, for any thoughts, criticisms or sympathies!!

Crazygary
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Wow that is small.

The sub in that scale would be 328.6mm / 12.93" and have a maximum beam of 29.7mm / 1.16". Sounds like you might be wanting a bit too much inside there.

J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• crazygary
      Captain
      • Sep 2012

Hiya, Slats!

May well be a stretch, but a piece of 1" o.d. clear acrylic tubing fits inside the hull nicely!
      Absolutely no extra room, but no interference, either!

I'm pretty sure I can manage a coreless motor to drive the prop, a couple of micro linear servos
      for steering and diving, small lipo, and micro esc and rx. These things will, apparently, fit within
      the 1" diameter hull of Trouts Aluminaut, so I'm assuming I should be able to build her as planned!!??

Wether or not it can be made as a static diver, is very much in question. The jury's still out
      on that one!! Film at eleven?

Whatd'ya think, David!! Am I tinkling into a fan?? Hah!!

I'm currently in the process of acquiring all the necessary components, then I can tinker
      from there and see what I may be able to come up with!!

Fingers crossed!!

Crazygary

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

LOL. You nut-ball! Make it dynamic diving and have some fun with it. Then, borrowing from Tom's good work, steal his piston gadget and cram it in there. Enough chit-chat .... get to work you micrometer swinging throw-back!
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
          Captain
          • Sep 2012

Ah!!! Nutball, indeed!! Thanks for catching on to that fact!!

Dynamic would certainly be a "no-brainer", and as you suggested, I can always go back and go for
          the ballast system thing!!

Would definitely not infinge on Brother Tom's excellent r&d'ing!! I'd hafta do it differently, just so I'd be able to sleep at night, which, so far, has never been a problem!! Lookout, pillow!! Here it comes!!

And as far as "cramming it in there", thanks for the vote of confidence!!
          Been many years since last I was able to "cram"!! LOL

You guys are the best!!

Comment

• crazygary
            Captain
            • Sep 2012

Still researching components but looks like I'll be going with 6 x 14mm coreless motor to drive the prop, as "roominess" is not a "big factor" in the build equation!! ( No pun intended!!)

Will be building her as a static diver, afterall! ( Yeah, David!! Still crazy after all these years!! Hah!!)
            All inspiration and ideas came at the hands, and creativeness, of brother Trout!! Many thanks, my friend!!

I'm planning to machine a spool valve, with a couple of o-rings, and utilize the full wtc inside diameter as my ballast tank,
            with strategically placed bulkheads, of course. The piston will be driven via a cannibalized model aircraft landing
            gear retract unit, also with many thanks to Tom. Have yet to find anything comparable without having to sell a weeks
            vacation to finance it! Great find, Tom!! You Da Man!!

More info to come as I begin to receive parts and play a little!
            Thanks for hanging in there with me, y'all!!

Comment

• herrmill
              Commander
              • Dec 2008

Here's some more inspiration that's an ongoing build over in the RCG Micro & Sub-Micro forum:

Comment

• crazygary
                Captain
                • Sep 2012

Wow!!

Great stuff here, Hermill!!

Thanks a bunch!!!

Comment

• crazygary
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2012

Have managed to "hack" the upper hull half and make the interior ready to
                  receive some 1" diameter polycarbonate tubing. WTC can be upwards of
                  7 1/2" long, if need be!! Much roomier than previously thought!!

Am currently working at getting the rudders and forward dive planes to function as needed.

Will post photos as there becomes something "somewhat interesting" to see!! Hah!!

Right now she's just a nicely molded piece of hollow plastic, with a couple of
                  saw cuts on her top side!! Pretty boring, but I'm definitely having fun here!!

As a side note, can anyone direct me to a place where I might find where the
                  Virginia takes water into her ballast tanks, and blows it out? Since my model will
                  be a wet hull, I'd kinda like her to, you'll pardon the expression, "suck and blow"
                  as near to the prototype as possible!! ( Absolutely nothing else intended!)

Thanks for any assistance!!

Crazygary

Comment

• crazygary
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2012

Have run into a bit of a snag and am hoping for some much needed assistance!
                    Am in the process of making my forward dive planes, rudders, and prop functional.
                    The plastic 7-bladed prop supplied with the kit is pretty wimpy, and am hoping to get a lead on possibly a brass
                    replacement! Here's the "sticky" part! The supplied prop is only about 1/2" in diameter, and due to the shrouded prop setup on the Virginia, nothing larger will fit!! Bummer!!
                    It doesn't absolutely HAVE to be 7-bladed, but I'd really prefer it to be. Since this is my first sub, and being a Virgo, I'd
                    like to do it right!!
                    If a 7-blade is out of the question, whatever anyone may be able to suggest would be most welcomed!!
                    Thanks, in advance, for anyones valued input!!

Crazygary

Comment

Working...