Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

I coated the ESCs in liquid electricians tape. I bound them together and let it dry.
    The water for the ballast system needs a way in. Took a brass pipe and sliced it so I could reconnect it with an angle and drilled a hole at the bottom of the sub.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 83.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	76102
    Fit the water induction piping (sounds official) through the hole. I am sure I could have used a straight tube, but I wanted the hole to be hidden - it was a personal choice.

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 84.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	76103Click image for larger version

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 85.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	76104
    I sealed it in with RTV rubber and pushed the ESC package in the space at the aft end of the sub - it FIT! That frees up a lot of space for me.

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 86.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	76105Click image for larger version

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 87.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	76106
    Sweet, I will let the RTV set overnight then trim the pipe and work on the Lepton 6 receiver fitting in tomorrow - got some friends coming over for the game, not sure how much time I will have.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by crazygary
      Gettin' close to the water now, Buddy!! Looking good!!
      planning to machine a piston
      out of either nylon or delrin.
      Don't use nylon, it absorbs moisture like a sponge and swells up. Acetal is fine.

Comment

• crazygary
        Captain
        • Sep 2012

Ooo!!

Good call, Subculture!! Scratch the nylon!!

Will go with Delrin!! Good sound material with lots of "natural" lubricity!!

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Filled around the brass tube with marine epoxy and placed the ESCs back in.

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 88.jpg
ID:	76125Click image for larger version

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 89.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	76126
          Took the Lepton6 out of its box and coated the bottom with liquid tape. I also painted the cable color guide on the side.

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 90.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	76127Click image for larger version

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 91.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	76128
          Figured a rough estimate of the piston width and cut it out of the rails.

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 92a.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	76129
          The RX is fit it into the bow, a little shaving on the bow piece where the RX board is. It did not take much for it to go in, the crystal needed to be bent at an angle other than that, it went well. (cue the music)

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 93.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	76130Click image for larger version

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 94.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	76131
          It fit in very nicely. (you can see the color code that was painted in)

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 95.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	76132
          Attached the piston, nice fit there.

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 96.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	76133
          (Now scratch that needle across the record sound)

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 97.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	76134
          The pins on the RX bump up against the ballast motor. No room to put the connectors on. Son of a......Did I mention that I do not cuss? Time to go to bed and think about this.
          Last edited by trout; 02-05-2013, 02:33 AM.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

There several ways that I can tackle this mis calculation. Since the news of Lepton 6 not going to be made in the 75Mhz, I am reluctant to tear the receiver pins apart, so I am left with flipping the ballast piston around and I can do a off-center install, or create a wiring harness which would run the necessary wires to the servos......then I could buy a cheap GWS RX instead, it is shorter in length, but not as good. I could shelve this until Kevin creates the nano sub atomic circuit board, (he is such an over achiever).

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

There are areas that could be shaved off to make more room. As an example, the tube for the inlet of water could be cut back 4mm and the nipple of the syringe could be trimmed back maybe 3mm possibly more. The counter to that thinking is I would run the risk from the pressure of the piston ejecting water will dislodge the connecting vinyl tube.

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 98.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	76148
              In the meantime there are some things that will be needed regardless of the solution, like some additional bracing and supports for tie straps.

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 99.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	76149
              There is little room, and more to pack in there like a battery. So, I think a wire harness will make sense as a solution.

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 100.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	76150Click image for larger version

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 101.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	76151
              A gentleman named Derk from another site recommended a harness, that was on my choices for a fix, but he really went beyond what I was thinking. He mentioned making a common power and ground for all the servos and just run separate signal runs. Brilliant! 6 cables verses the 12 originally planned......I am frequently humbled by you all and thankful for the special group r/c submariners are! So, to all of you Thank You!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Hey, pal! It's a two-way street; we're learning from you as well. This is good stuff!
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                  Detail Nut of the First Order
                  • Sep 2010

Excellent work on that tiny sub Tom, did the same trick with the cables for running the servo's in the front part of my 212 SD, i got only four wires for running two servo's at seperate channels, keep up the good work.
                  I went underground

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Thank you David and Manfred! I appreciate the kind words.

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Not much done this weekend, we had a lot of obligations and time flew by.
                      Went ahead and mounted the RX to the proboscis thingy and tested the fit - we are good.

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 102.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	76192
                      Then began work on the wire harness. Painted white on it to use for marking channel it will belong to. I got it a little too hot so I melted a section while soldering hence the crooked pins.

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 103.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	76193
                      Now it brings up the channels and how to set them up. My son got a Polk radio for Christmas and it is a nice radio (I can not say it is better than the wWFly because I have not tested it yet). I like the fact that the radio has selectable channel.

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 104.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	76194
                      It looks like I will need to mix Channel 1 (Rudder) with Channel 3 (Throttle) together to act like a tank. Anyone know how to do this on a Polk? If not, I will have to read the funny manual (and If I can put in my wish list [If Mike was going to put together his own radio....] it would be this built in channel selector). For my WFly, I bought the HiTech selectable channel pack and that works real nice and it would be nice if a future transmitter had that feature built in. I'm not saying the Mike is building one, I am just saying IF he did I would ask this feature is added. Oh, and a manual that made sense would help too!

Comment

• alad61
                        Commander
                        • Jan 2012

Struth Tom. I've been watching quietly in the background but now I just have to say I am impressed and humbled by your work mate. I'm looking forward to seeing a video of this little beauty in action!!
                        Cheers,
                        Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                        But to dream is a reality

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Thanks Alec! I really appreciate the kind words. Struth, you do good works too! Fighting the ADHD in me and get side tracked, recently got some great advice about keeping the main thing, the main thing and I am desperately trying to follow it.....Squirrel!
                          I look forward to seeing this run too! For the underwater filming, looking to purchase an 808 camera (#16 me thinks).
                          Last edited by trout; 02-12-2013, 02:24 AM.

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Working on the harness (still) and knew the full size connector would not work, so time to trim it back.

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 105a.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	76207

It looked like that would work, but not close enough.

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 106.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	76208
                            Trimmed the female pin way back and solder the harness wire to it. Tried first to solder the side where the original wire went, but the solder and new wire blocked the RX pin from going all the way in. So, soldered again, this time on the back of the female pin.

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 107.jpg
ID:	76209
                            This was enough to get it to work. The little bit of a gap in the photo below was me juggling the camera and sub. I could not get it held all the way.

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 108.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	76210
                            Later I will solder the other wires together. A coat of liquid electrical tape will help prevent shorting things out. If the shrink tubing gets here soon, I will go that route until then, I have a plan!

Comment

• Scott T
                              Commander
                              • May 2009

That squirrel is everywhere. Looking good Tom!

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Thank you Scott! I need to move to Oklahoma so we can build stuff, plus I liked it there.

Took some time tonight to solder the rest of the pins on the RX side.

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 109.jpg
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	76247Click image for larger version

Name:	Aluminaut research submarine 110.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	76248
                                I will need to mix either Ch1 and Ch2 together or Ch3 and Ch4. Leaning to use 3 and 4 for Port and Starboard movement and Ch2 for PB (people blender - Ha! I chuckle with that description) or the motor on the deck, Anterior Thruster(?). Does anyone know if mixing those two channels will work the thrusters like a tank?
                                I ordered some parts for the light bar....I need a scanning electron microscope to take a picture of the parts. So no photos yet. What was I thinking?

Comment

Working...