X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crazygary
    Captain
    • Sep 2012

Lindberg 1/240 Gato?

Am a total newbie to the sub scene as I have yet to undertake a build! This will occur once my current "target" build has been completed!! ( Carol Moran tug! )

I have a 1/144 Trumpeter Kilo kit in my hobby room, and will likely kick off my r/c sub "career" with her, but am intrigued by the smaller sized subs, as my pool width may, or may not, play well with the turning radius of the Kilo! ( Fingers crossed!)

Anyhoo, was wondering if anyone has converted one of these little Lindberg Gatos successfully to r/c? Being only about 15 1/2" in length seems a bit restrictive as far as electronics goes, but....Where there's a will, there's a way!! Being an old machinist, I'm pretty sure I can come up with something viable.

BTW! The 1/240 scale designation is the way the kit is advertised on EBAY!! May well be 1/???.

Any points in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Many thanks, in advance, for your valued input!!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

You want to start in at this hobby by building a Faberge Egg? No! You're not ready for that yet. Start with something eaiser (read: bigger).

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
      Captain
      • Sep 2012

Thanks, Dave!

About the biggest I can run in my pool is gonna be the Trumpeter Kilo!! I believe she can turn in a 10 foot circle??
      Would have liked to go bigger, like Dumas' Akula, but at 33", might have been problematic!! I live in the foothills a little east of Fresno, CA, and not a whole lot in the way of ponds up here!! Hence the pool!!

Was just kind of interested in the challenge of the smaller subs! The kit for the Lindberg Gato has been ordered, but can sit on the shelf until I get my feet wet in this aspect of the hobby!! Still sounds pretty intriguing, tho'!

Other than the Kilo, what else would you suggest for a first time sub guy??

Comment

• Aug 2008

The 1/96 Type-212 turns very tight. So does the little 1/230 SKIPJACK.

I'm working up generic 1.25" Sub-drivers for both static and dynamic diving type submarines suitable for use in the pool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	74717

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
          Captain
          • Sep 2012

Thanks for the info, David!!
          Much appreciated!
          BTW- I have your Kilo fittings kit, and am quite impressed with the quality of your resin castings!!
          I've done a wholw lot of resin casting for Bell Sports, in years past, and your efforts
          are excellent!! Thanks for being you!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks. I stand on the shoulders of those who taught me.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
              Captain
              • Sep 2012

Hey, just out of curiosity, Dave, would you happen to know the turning radii of the 1/96 type 212 and the 1/230 Skipjack??

I've heard that the Trumpeter 1/144 Kilo can do a 180 in a 10 foot circle?? Yes, no??????

One end of my pool is about 12 feet across, and the other end is around 14 feet. or so!! Guess I gotta be pretty nimble with the controls, or be "ready to repair" as needed! Hah!!

Also, would your "in development stages" 1 1/4" wtc's fit into the Lindberg Gato?? The sub seems to be pretty narrow, but maybe???

Thanks again for your much appreciated input!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by crazygary
                Hey, just out of curiosity, Dave, would you happen to know the turning radii of the 1/96 type 212 and the 1/230 Skipjack??

I've heard that the Trumpeter 1/144 Kilo can do a 180 in a 10 foot circle?? Yes, no??????

One end of my pool is about 12 feet across, and the other end is around 14 feet. or so!! Guess I gotta be pretty nimble with the controls, or be "ready to repair" as needed! Hah!!

Also, would your "in development stages" 1 1/4" wtc's fit into the Lindberg Gato?? The sub seems to be pretty narrow, but maybe???

Thanks again for your much appreciated input!!
                Both, about a 2.5 radius.

When in doubt, do a Y-turn.

The little GATO is too small for our unit.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...