X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Moebius 1:72 Skipjack

With the release of the kit now populating the shelves of your favorite vendor and the slew of us who will be building it (myself included) what would you think if we put all the builds on one thread? Too confusing? Or a one stop source for help? I am open to your thoughts.
    Last edited by trout; 10-04-2012, 09:27 AM.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Let's say we have two or more WIP submissions presented and they all are of the same subject, SKIPJACK in this case. I would prefer to see each WIP submission presented as a discrete thread -- the author, in an arena dedicated just to his work, will not be constantly looking over his shoulder as would be the case if he had to share the podium with other 'experts'.

Later, if the threads contain significantly useful information, the material can be collated, and edited into one big topic specific thread or threads.

What say you, Mike?

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

Should be entirely up to the author - free choice and all that.

J
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
      Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Slats,
        I agree. The more I thought about it, the more it did not work. Part of the thinking was building a one stop source for builders, but that is something that could be done later. I need to complete the FAQ for the Gato, then with Mike's O.K. I can maybe work on this.

So, Dave and Mike, never mind. (waving hand slowly) This posting never happened. I will just go ahead and do my build here.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I have seen so, so many collaborative efforts in the many modeling forums, instigated with much fanfare and high hopes. Only to eventually die on the vine. The more cooks, the better the chance the soup will get all screwed up. That SC group GATO thing for example. Watch what comes of that.

The only complete follow-through of group-projects I've seen in this field are the German guys -- their engrained sense of order and cooperation in a common endeavor is way above average. They manage to complete their community projects.

Americans? Like herding cats. All show, little go.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tugfan
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
            I have seen so, so many collaborative efforts in the many modeling forums, instigated with much fanfare and high hopes. Only to eventually die on the vine. The more cooks, the better the chance the soup will get all screwed up. That SC group GATO thing for example. Watch what comes of that.

The only complete follow-through of group-projects I've seen in this field are the German guys -- their engrained sense of order and cooperation in a common endeavor is way above average. They manage to complete their community projects.

Americans? Like herding cats. All show, little go.

David
            Those damn Germans are nuts. They put more electronics and mind boggling stuff in their boats. Also, once they start a build they always finish it. I just wish they had forums with english translation.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Germany is the nexus of perfection in this game, and the adjoining nations also evidence a high degree of technical competence. America -- with the exception of a spasmodic spurts of innovation and invention in the 60's and 80's -- has been pretty much the idiot-child compared with our contemporary r/c submarine builders-drivers outside our boarders.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                Let's say we have two or more WIP submissions presented and they all are of the same subject, SKIPJACK in this case. I would prefer to see each WIP submission presented as a discrete thread -- the author, in an arena dedicated just to his work, will not be constantly looking over his shoulder as would be the case if he had to share the podium with other 'experts'.

Later, if the threads contain significantly useful information, the material can be collated, and edited into one big topic specific thread or threads.

What say you, Mike?

David
                I agree with David. All I need to see is each person showing detail of one aspect of the build. The awkward parts (if any) are what will make a good presentation that we can use.

I'm off to Hangzhou this morning from Shanghai, to see Chuck Miller and Nichole!
                Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Send pictures! Safe trip.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tugfan
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Nov 2010

Back to work, Dave. I need my Skipjack fittings. I hear Mike cracking the whip.

Comment

• Aug 2008

(me too).......
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Tonight I've started in on the high-resolution photos for the WIP that will appear here, the Cabal Report, and the eventual instructional PDF that will be on store here at this site.

David

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	73546Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	73547Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	2