X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonP-UK
    Lieutenant
    • Feb 2010

U107-Type IXB U-Boat

I have been a bit absent from this site for a while. Nothing untoward you understand but I am determined to get this boat finished for the Norwich dive in next year. It is without doubt the most difficult undertaking I have ever been involved with.

For those that don't know, the model is the result of a 15 year research project from myself and my Old friend Ian Lawrence, who sadly died earlier this year. We met just before Christmas last year and he asked me to finish the project as he knew he wouldn't be around to help. He passed over to me around 100 A3 sized etched sheets of nickel silver and some part finished masters for the hull.

I have no drawings, no instructions but a load of books on U-Boats and it is form those books that I am gleaning information as well as photographs of the wreck of U534 now located in Liverpool. Many of the etchings have been superseded by later ones (improved design) and sorting them has been a nightmare, but I am on the right track. The idea, back in 97, was to construct a model U-Boat to museum standards that would could be a source of reference for other modellers who wanted to build a similar boat. All panel lines, welds, rivets etc are reproduced as per the prototype as near as available information allows.

The decision to model a type IX was simply because it is a model that is not often duplicated (unlike the type VII) and U107 was picked because her first skipper was Karl Doenitz's son-in-law and as a result was well documented.

The masters for the hull have been completed and a hull,superstructure and pressure hull completed. The scale pressure hull has been cut away to accommodate one of my own design modules that will (in time) be removed. The reason for it's removal is that I hope that one day the model will end up in a museum somewhere so that everyone can see it as a reference and will be a lasting testimony to Ian.

The pictures below show the model in various stages of assembly, I hope you like them. I shall post pictures once in a while as progress continues and hopefully this time next year it will be near its shakedown cruise. Please do not let this model put you off the idea of building a Type IX. The extents Ian and I have gone to are extreme to say the least.

A superb model can be built by using Model Dockyards GRP hull of U505 and Dave Merriman's Sub-driver. The deck would have to be scratch built but is not that difficult with patience, a sharp scalpel and plasticard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	deck structure.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	101883Click image for larger version

Name:	FLOOD SLOTS.jpg
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	101884Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch hinges.jpg
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	101885Click image for larger version

Name:	part deck.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	101886Click image for larger version

Name:	part deck1.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	101887Click image for larger version

Name:	part deck 2.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	101888Click image for larger version

Name:	part deck 3.jpg
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	101889
    Last edited by Kazzer; 08-24-2012, 08:43 AM.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

This is, without a doubt, the most ambitious model submarine project I've ever seen.

A magnificent effort, Ron. Truly stunning work. This will indeed become the 'standard' for future students of the Type-9. Looking forward to all posts of your work.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• vital.spark
      Commander
      • May 2010

Hello Ron,

We visited U505 2 years ago while in Chicago. I have numerous photo's of the bottom of her showing all the flood/drain hole layout if you are interested. If so, let me have an email address and I'll pass them on to you.

Regards,

Myron

Comment

• RonP-UK
        Lieutenant
        • Feb 2010

Those could be VERY useful Myron, thank you so much for the offer the pictures will be greatly appreciated. My home mail is pioneerwilsford@aol.com I think that I have the flooding slots pretty well covered but the keel is a grey area as is the rear shaft supports.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Myron, if you have a spare minute I would like to see what you have on her. Or, perhaps you could post them to the site. Either way, if you are willing, my Email Address is mgreen@standardconcrete.org
          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Inspirational RON!
            IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Wow Ron, that is an amazing build! Seeing all the metal on top reminds me of some of the brass HO scale trains - they are so smart looking without the paint on. Your work is true craftsmanship.
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...