X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Jay,
    i think he means move some of the foam at the water line to the other side at the water line. The side that is dipping will need more foam. Or add more weight and the foam to counter it on the side that dips.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• alad61
      Commander
      • Jan 2012

G'day Jay. I know how you feel. I've had mine in the tub getting the trim right for more hours than it has seen open (& deep) water and when you think you have it right... well... my only advice for what it's worth is only add foam above the waterline as an absolute last resort. For mine I started from the middle and worked forward & aft after the initial lay of lead and foam. One thing I found really helpfull was getting the SD to float level when the ballast was empty & full. The full part was a bit tricky but patient persistance got me there. As it will for you too.
      Cheers,
      Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
      But to dream is a reality

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by beeryboats
        Not yet, but you've sure got me thinking outside the box. If I've got the boat somewhat trimmed submerged, but listing on the surface, I should take some of the foam from below the waterline to above the waterline on the light or uphill side of the boat. That way it will only effect surface trim and not submerged trim? Or am I overthinking the whole thing? I think the heat was getting to me.....
        Jay
        No, to correct the list you need to move foam that is immersed in surface trim -- try to swap sides with foam just below the surface trim waterline.

Hang in there -- once trimmed, you'll never have to do this awful thing again!

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• beeryboats
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jun 2011

Ok, I'll give her a try. Maybe I'm doing this backwards? Should I get the surfaced trim set first before worrying about submerged trim?
          Jay

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Jay,
            I trimmed submerged first.
            Peace,
            Tom
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I thought I made it clear in the tutorial: work out submerged trim first. Then, once submerged trim is worked out, all you have to do to achieve correct waterline in surface trim is to move foam above/below the waterline.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• beeryboats
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jun 2011

Well, like a true packrat, I printed the tutorial but did not staple it in order. So here I am with three pages not knowing which one goes first. So I figured I would start at the bottom and work my way up! So to speak. Just wanted to know if that was correct.

It is kind of funny that you build something that you think is perfectly symetrical side to side, and yet it will always favor one side when it flips over. I build a lot of balsa RC aircraft, and no matter how you try to use equal weight balsa, you always end up with one wing much heavier than the other.

Jay
                Last edited by beeryboats; 07-09-2012, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Jay,
                  It is good to see you back in the posting saddle again! I learn from you still!
                  Peace,
                  Tom

Comment

• Reckless
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    I thought I made it clear in the tutorial: work out submerged trim first. Then, once submerged trim is worked out, all you have to do to achieve correct waterline in surface trim is to move foam above/below the waterline.

David
                    wait.... we were supposed to read/pay attention to those ?....

Comment

• Aug 2008

You People!....

.... I buy you books; I send you to school, and you idiots eat the Teacher!

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Merriman ribs on the barbie!

Comment

• beeryboats
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Jun 2011

More floation tests in the pool tonight. It was not my sub though. I found it impossible to keep my 9 year old daughter out of the pool. The sub is still in the hobby room.....

Jay

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hey. You got your priorities straight. Good man.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...