X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

started to build the 1/72 type IXD2

Had the "kit" from Combat models for some time. Kit being about 6 pieces of plastic vacuformed into a basic hull and tower. Not for the timid or quickbuilder for sure. I wanted a IX to go with my 1/72 flotilla and there aint none to be had by any of the maanufacturers so I got one. needless to say there is a bit to be desired. I started building models in the late 40s when ther wern't any diecast plastic kits on the market and a Kit usually was a block of bulsa and a few sheets of bulsa and maby some wooden wheels and a prop. Drawings were 3 view and a few paragraphs on how to turn it into the picture on the package. By the early 50s the Aurora kits hit the stores with etched kits with all sorts of details like rivits and pilots and little etched marks where the decals went. Well a lot of water has passed under my keel since them days, but I still enjoy the challange of scratch building models, where you have to do research to get details. I started by cutting out the 4 quarters of the hull from the molds and putting the hull together with tape just to get the general Idea how big it is. I noticed it was rather flimsy, so I got a piece of aluminiun channel that fit inside the molded keel and taped it in to get the keel strate then trimmed the plastic to get a good fit then epoxied the mess together and got what you see here
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IXDhull.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	101688Click image for larger version

Name:	IXDtubes.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	101689
    Using the pictures of the U505 I started laying out the hull details with pencil then cutting holes with the dremmel and xacto. Then adding some sheet aluminium for the torpedeo doors and decks
    After about a month of cutting and sanding and shaping on the hulls exterior I installed some teflon gears for the rudders and dive planes and stainless push rods I got the controlls all working and becan the process of installing the top of the faux pressure hull fore and aft and began planking the wood deck over the framework. The fore deck and afterdeck will be detachable with magnets. The 16" center section of decking with the tower and guns will sit on top of a half section of faux pressure hull which cradles the sub driver. The entire section will just drop in the center, hook up the driver with the couplings and replace the fore and aft deck sections.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	typeIXD2 hull.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	101690Click image for larger version

Name:	typeIXD2rhor.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	101691Click image for larger version

Name:	typeIXD2planks.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	101692Click image for larger version

Name:	typeIXD2 phullaft.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	101693
  • modelnut
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jun 2011

Looks good!

I have a Combat hull coming to me in the mail. Their Type XXI in 72 scale. I got tired of waiting for someone like Revell to manufacture it for us. I had thought to get someone to make a PE set for the flood and drain holes etc. But yours look pretty good. I guess I will wait and see.

- Leelan

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Have you ever had a Combat Models kit laid out before you?

Abandon All Hope!

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
        Rear Admiral
        • Oct 2011

Hope? I hope to poop in yer flathat shipmate. Heres the type VII "kit" {lol} laid out... and thats where its going to stay for awhile. I may make it a take apart and get all the pressure hul kits with the compartments so one half can be removes for viewing, but that will be a long involved process, for a later date. The only thing I liked is the drawing on the plans as its to scale and well copied from original blueprints. Too bad the type IX plans arnt that detailed, they look like what the kids use to draw with crayons and hang on the refrigerator.Click image for larger version

Name:	cmk a.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	67121
        Last edited by Von Hilde; 04-12-2012, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

heres some insperation. Mostly have been enginearing a way to access the driver compartment with a removeable fore deck and center section and scratch building the tower. I had thought about a photo etched deck but after researching type IX decks, it looks like each boat had different configurations of hatches and covers. after looking at the 505, I figgured I could spend the time and plank my own with real hardwood. I milled some mahogoney sheets and bought some spruce sticks. I have about 40 hours in just the foredeck and aft quarter. The problem that Im having is getting a better set of drawings for the IXD2 with higher resolution. I cant seem to get a download with a high resolution. I have several that are to small to blow up.Click image for larger version

Name:	ixd2tower2.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	67122Click image for larger version

Name:	ixd2midsec1.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	67123Click image for larger version

Name:	ixd2 midsec cover.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	67124Click image for larger version

Name:	ixd2 midsec.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	67125Click image for larger version

Name:	cmk b.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	67126to access the wtc, remove the tower, unscrew the fwd winch head( s/s bycycle spoke, and inverted nipple, which will release the wood foredeck which holds the front of the center wtc cover/ retainer, center section. Disconect the pushrod for the fwd planes slide the center section cover fwd 1/4 " and lift out. exposing the aft wtc connections of shafts rudders and planes. I still have to make a cradle in the bottom of the hull for the WTC and a cradle on the underside of the center section that holds it all in place. I have to sell my hot rod harley motor before I can affoard to get a driver and radio and all the other odds and ends that make it go, but theres plenty of detail work to carry on with while I wait.

Comment

• modelnut
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Jun 2011

I have heard that Combat Models kits are crap. But I have seen this kit put together. It might not be perfect but polishing this particular turd will probably be easier than my building a type XXI from scratch. That is my hope anyway.

- Leelan

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

I can only lead you guys to water. I can't make you drink it.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                Rear Admiral
                • Oct 2011

the thing is, I am in the middle of the ocean already and I need to be lead out of the water, cause ya know people cant drink sea water. My granpa always told me not to drink the water cause it will rust your pipes. Thats why he drank beer all day instead.

Comment

• modelnut
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Jun 2011

I think I saw that kit or one like it on eBay a week or so ago.

- Leelan

Originally posted by Von Hilde
                  Hope? I hope to poop in yer flathat shipmate. Heres the type VII "kit" {lol} laid out... and thats where its going to stay for awhile. I may make it a take apart and get all the pressure hul kits with the compartments so one half can be removes for viewing, but that will be a long involved process, for a later date. The only thing I liked is the drawing on the plans as its to scale and well copied from original blueprints. Too bad the type IX plans arnt that detailed, they look like what the kids use to draw with crayons and hang on the refrigerator.[ATTACH=CONFIG]13179[/ATTACH]

Comment

• modelnut
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jun 2011

My Type XXI u-boat from Combat Models arrived yesterday. Doesn't look that bad. I know she will be a lot of work to make right. But it will be a hell of a lot less than if I had to build her from scratch.

Here is one man's attempt:

But this is what I am shooting for:

I'm thinking I will need a PE set to get those limber and drain holes so precise.

I will start a builders thread when I begin.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread . . .

- Leelan

Comment

• modelnut
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jun 2011

I know. I know. Many people told me not to buy a Combat Models kit. But I did it anyway.

It doesn't appear to be a bad kit. It's just not the right size. It is 20% off. Eight inches too short.
                      Instead of being 42 inches long and 72 scale as advertised, it is 34 inches long and 89 scale.

I guess I will have to either wait for another vendor to offer an accurate kit or scratchbuild the sub myself.

Nobody said submarine modeling would be easy.

- Leelan.
                      Last edited by modelnut; 04-18-2012, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

update on the IXD2. I got the mahogony decks installed and most of the holes cut in the forward section. did some work on the tower as well. It all fits together ok as it is only mocked up at this point The foredeck is the key that holds it all together, with the winch head as a fastener. The head thats holding it now is not the actual one that I will use(just temp) The tower will have a fastener in the crews access hatch on the lower wintergarden. Now the fun begins with all the little details, hatches, guns, railings ect. Guns will most likley be a mix match of sources. I have a 1/72 quad 2cm 38 flakzwilling for the lower WG, on order, but most likely Ill have to swap out the barrels with brass and replace the shields with aluminium sheet because of the pictures Ive seen of that model all that looks monstrous out of scale. Also ordered a couple White Ensign twin 2cms for the upper. The 88 will be etirely scratch built. As for the 3cm that would go on the main deck aft, its up in the air at this point. Thats still a long ways off.Click image for larger version

Name:	IXD2wooddeck.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	67317Click image for larger version

Name:	IXD2wood.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	67318Click image for larger version

Name:	IXD2hatches.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	67319
                        Last edited by Von Hilde; 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...