X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clayk59
    Ensign
    • Feb 2012

About to start Gato build. A bit scared

I just received all of my Gato stuff and watched the videos. I hope I am up to the challenge. I plan to set up and area to build this weekend and plunge right in. I am sure I will have a lot of questions.

I have built airplanes, cars and helicopters, but this looks challenging.

Clay
  • Reckless
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jan 2012

alittle scared is good! makes sure you pay attention!

if you've built an RC vehicle before from a kit, and use the available caswell stuff (SD, fittings kit... etc) it'll be fine... it's like building a plane .. but in a boat hull... without the pesky headache of making sure the boat hull is sealed!

just remember to take pictures and log your work here... the experienced folks will be able to catch little things you may have missed here and there from your pictures .. if not from your questions as you build.

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Damn the torpedos! Full speed ahead!!!
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

All I can say is we are here to help you. Congratulations and as greenman407 said "Full speed ahead".
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• clayk59
          Ensign
          • Feb 2012

OK first set of questions. I have glued the hull and bow together as well as cutting the top of the bow. Blade slipped a bit and my cut is not as neat as the video but will probably be OK. I have prepped the stern and had to stop. Need to take my camera to the building annex for pics

First questions:

I decided to go prep the metal parts in the conversion kit. It appears I have TWO complete conversion kits, one with a B&W parts sheet and one with a color one. They appear to be identical. Is this normal?

Second question:

While on the Caswell site to order some Rage, I noticed the listing for Raboesch Propellers. They looked cool so I bought a set. I assume they are a replacement for the parts in the conversion kit. I also ordered two 1/8” Brass Shaft Connector Insert. Do I need anything else and did I make a wise choice?

Thanks

Clay

Comment

• clayk59
            Ensign
            • Feb 2012

I tried drilling the rudder last night and blew out the side at the bottom. I can probably patch it up. It does fit nice with the bearings I made and turns freely

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Yep it can be fixed - here is a shame photo of my rudder. Click image for larger version

Name:	Shame_fix_0.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	66451

I posted earlier about the Raboesch props and it is not there now (I probably pushed the wrong thing), so I will just say, that they are gorgeous looking props - BUT they are threaded. (see build info - http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...72-Gato/page13) You will need to put a 5-40 thread on your shafts.
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by clayk59
                OK first set of questions. I have glued the hull and bow together as well as cutting the top of the bow. Blade slipped a bit and my cut is not as neat as the video but will probably be OK. I have prepped the stern and had to stop. Need to take my camera to the building annex for pics

First questions:

I decided to go prep the metal parts in the conversion kit. It appears I have TWO complete conversion kits, one with a B&W parts sheet and one with a color one. They appear to be identical. Is this normal?

Second question:

While on the Caswell site to order some Rage, I noticed the listing for Raboesch Propellers. They looked cool so I bought a set. I assume they are a replacement for the parts in the conversion kit. I also ordered two 1/8” Brass Shaft Connector Insert. Do I need anything else and did I make a wise choice?

Thanks

Clay

Two complete fittings kits? Sounds like you hit the jack-pot. Mum's the word.

Yeah, you will have to cut thread into the after end of the propeller shaft to mate with the thread of the Raboesch propeller.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• clayk59
                  Ensign
                  • Feb 2012

Another hangup. I cannot for the life of me remove the motor end of the sub driver. Incredibly tight an no raised lip like the other end. Any tips on opening it. I want to get the push rods out

Clay

Comment

• Aug 2008

Shove a putty-knife blade in between the ass-end of the Lexan tube and forward face of the motor-bulkhed flange. Then work in a fatter screw-driver blade and walk that sucker out. Once the O-ring strates sliding, things get a lot easier to move.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• clayk59
                      Ensign
                      • Feb 2012

Setback. I managed to break one of the plastic supports on the stern that ties into the metal drive shaft hearing. Any good ways to fix this?

Bow planes went together nicely and work great. Working on cutting top from the hull. About two thirds done and it is fairly straightforward

Clay

Comment

• Aug 2008

You idiot!

OK, Mr. all-thumbs. Here's what you do:

Graft the two broken halves together by first CA'ing them back into alignment. Then grinding a grooves along the span of the strut, that groove wide and deep enough to accept a short length (1/4" should be enough) of 1/16" brass rod. Insert rod, then slather on the CA and baking soda, and grind the mess down to re-establish the foil cross-section of the strut.

Go forth and sin no more!

David,
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...