Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	101482
    this is the pressure hull of the 1/24 type II
    Click image for larger version

Name:	subph 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	101483
    6"PVC thats been tapered and wire framework over the top covered with aluminium sheeting. sub driver will go in the large aft hatch which will be watertite as well

Name:	028.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	101484
    1/32 U-571 (the real one not the movie) is a static display slated for a Key West Maratime museum display. Kapt Mohelman sank 6 ships in 4 days during Polkinshlag here in July 42 in that boot Also working on a scratch 1/72 type VII hull to go with a spare modelbrass deck I had laying around as a referance for the bigger type VIIs I have built. 2 in 1/48 scale Most of my boats are static but the type II will be fully functional and there will be a 1/24 Type VII in the future as soon as finish a couple of the others

Name:	032.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	101569typeII tower progress as well as aft deck which is mocked up for positioning of hatches to openings on the p hull. The center section aft of the crews hatch to just fwd of the winch is removable to access the aft p hull opening to attach the shafts from the WTC to the props/ruddder/dive plane. The WTC will be loaded from a removable bow/ torpedo tube/front dive plane section

Name:	031.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	101570the bouy light is functional LED as well as the tower running lights and stern light. The 4 deck access hatches aft of the bouy are functional to open the latch to remove the deck. The decks will be finished with a graphite/mineral spirits combo to replicate the coal dust/ diesel fuel mix they used early in the war to darken the decks, for less visibility from the air.

Name:	u9tower.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	101571the tower is functional wirh oprational latch and wheel. (air lock doesent really work) but it spins. The hatch accesses a fastener to remove the tower(which is a cosmetic cover for the R/C reciever box attached to the top of the p hull) I was thinking of making another tower, possibly a D with another flak mount just to make it an interchangable boat.

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	101572Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	101573Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	101574alot of detail work to do yet, on the exterior with doors rails and vents. BTW the controll room below the bridge deck has a LED in it as well. Dont now why I put it in, but I had an extra on the wire. The controll room isnt watertite, but the light is waterproof. Im contimplating a retractable reciever antenna in one of the scopes housing, altho Im not sure how that may happen yet. Im thinking a servo with a verticle push rod in the reciever box which will be on top of the p hull, to push the antenna up and down, otherwise one may be perminately fixed in the up position. I will only be operating a few inches below the surface, so mechanicle raising and lowering isnt that important. I can just use a manual retracting antenna. At this point I'm just trying to keep my intrest focused on this boat, while I contemplate the Driver issues. I suspect I had better address them shortly before I get back to the basic hull construction. I dont want to hack out some more holes after I start closing the outer hull
    Last edited by Von Hilde; 01-11-2012, 08:45 AM.
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

scratch build 1/72 type VII with a modelbrass PE deck set. P hull is a pvc tube with wire and wood framework covered by beer can

Name:	016.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	65906Click image for larger version

Name:	034.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	65907

Comment

Working...