X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jlday1256
    Lieutenant
    • Jun 2011

Help - Seawolf Hull Twist

I have a problem that is driving me crazy. The top half of my Seawolf has just enough "twist" in it to open a 1/16 - 1/8 inch gap half way down the starboard side of the hull that I can't seem to close. I was thinking about application of some conservative and gentle heat mixed with some twisting force. Any suggestions?

Its doesn't seem like a filler solution is appropriate.
    Doodah
    If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

I've never had any luck using heat to 'un-twist' a warped injection formed polystyrene hull. Don't do it.

The Trumpeter 1/144 SEAWOLF kit is notoriouse for the crummy fit between upper and lower hull halves -- I think the Chinese gal's on the line are popping them out of the tools too soon (time IS money, after all), accounting for the warping of these big, hot parts.

Fortunately, that kit features hull halves that index together through internal tabs -- can you clamp down enough to push the halves together without evidencing too much of a gap?

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jlday1256
      Lieutenant
      • Jun 2011

With a slight bit of force, they will pull together. I am almost considering a flat head screw tab like you suggested (which works like a champ) for the aft portion of the hull.
      Doodah
      If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by jlday1256
        With a slight bit of force, they will pull together. I am almost considering a flat head screw tab like you suggested (which works like a champ) for the aft portion of the hull.
        Implement the fix; suck it up; and movie on.

Finish that thing!

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jlday1256
          Lieutenant
          • Jun 2011

Yea, I been pussy footing it too long, time to get out the BFH....
          Doodah

Comment

• Aug 2008

good man. Slam away.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...