X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael440
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Mar 2021

Matt Thor type xx1

Hi out there, I have been able to purchase what looks to be a Matt Thor type xx1 submarine kit. However there are no instructions and I think that maybe the deck brass fittings are missing, if there ever was any. Is there anyone on this site that can place some light on how this kit should be made, a parts list, in fact any instructions or information at all. I would be great full. Thanks.
  • Rick Teskey
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jan 2009

If Thor sold it it was it a Doug Badgley 21
    Thor bought the molds from Doug
    Bruce Martin from niagra falls has the 21 and the Bauer boats that Doug built and he may be able too answer some questions I could pass along your email .
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick Teskey; 07-10-2023, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• Michael440
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Mar 2021

Hi. I am in the U.K., and this was a part build model purchased off eBay.U.K. So I don’t know if it’s a Thor model bar for someone thinking it is. The more information I can get would be very useful at this time. Thanks, Michael

Comment

• Michael440
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Mar 2021

This is the model.

Comment

• goshawk823
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Oct 2010

That doesn’t look like Matt’s conning tower. Are you sure it’s not from one of the guys in Germany that has produced XXIs in the past? What scale is it? Matt’s/DOug’s was 1/48th.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
            Captain
            • Apr 2014

Conning tower looks like it has been 3D-printed....

Comment

• Michael440
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Mar 2021

Hi it’s not turned up yet. The hull is fibre glass and there are lots of brass parts for the detail. I did think that the tower looked 3D printed, but it’s hard to make out in the pictures. I don’t know of anyone else who made a fibreglass hull for this type bar mountfleet and it’s not one of theirs. Will send more information when I see it later this week.

Comment

• Michael440
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Mar 2021

Here are some pictures, the sail and gun turrets are 3D printed, but the sections of the hull are fibreglass and the dive planes, rudder are resin. It all looks a nice job, I have know idea who made this.

Comment

• goshawk823
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Michael440
                  Here are some pictures, the sail and gun turrets are 3D printed, but the sections of the hull are fibreglass and the dive planes, rudder are resin. It all looks a nice job, I have know idea who made this.
                  If it’s fiberglass/polyester resin and not epoxy, it’s not a Thor hull. Matt didn’t produce them in polyester. I wonder if the sail and guns were done by Oto at rcsubs.cz. He produces the XXI in a bunch of scales, and he has photoetch detail sets for them too.

Comment

• Michael440
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Mar 2021

Hi goshawk, I think that you maybe on to something there. Looking at the pictures on the RCsubs site I can see some relation between the way his kit is designed to fit together and the hull sections I have. I am wondering if my model is an RCsubs design but improved by being made from fibreglass and not 3D printed. Good to know I can get some parts if needed later. Good call, thanks.

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

What's the length of the boat? If it's a little over five feet, then I suspect your boat is more likely to be an old Darnell hull with perhaps a replaced conning tower/fin. Now supplied by Mountfleet e.g. https://www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk/product/u2511/

Comment

Working...