This is answering a request to post sClick image for larger version

Name:	Jagdtiger I 009.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	169368​ome of my armorClick image for larger version

Name:	Jagdtiger I 008.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	169367​ work, even though some of the real ones were designed to go underwater to 13 meters, mine do not, but they do run. I have about 40, and some are a few grand a pop, and the whine from people in armor-land over prices is actually worse there than I see here. Still it makes me laugh when I hear people complain. Anyway, I'll put up three; first is the Jagdtiger. This was a conversion from a Tamiya King Tiger, AND prior to starting Merriman had given me a TAIG lathe and shown me how to use it. A photo of this tank by a buddy of mine made it into a few magazines.Click image for larger version

Name:	Jagdtiger.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	169369

Next up is the Panther Ausf. G from WeCoHe. When I got this tank in 2007, I was working on 3 other projects, one being the Mason Nautilus, so everything got shelved. The German company that produced it went broke about 75% into it, and we had got pre-orders of the kit, so wound up having to make the rest ourselves. Not much plastic on this one, the upper hull and turret body and you have to cut all the angles for each. The rest is metal, and there are 672 metal screws that go into the 16 pairs of roadwheels. Pickled all the 10 different varieties of metal, bondoed a lot, and it gets zimmerit using Milliput. To give you an idea, I quit modeling 3 separate times over this tank for a couple years each time. Got into muscle cars and old beetles, and didn't finish it for 12 years.

The last one is my first 'all metal' tank. This one I worked on almost straight and it still took me 4.5 years. Metal is a trick only to be experienced an all exterior detail better be on solid as this is a working model. Of course stuff with the base kit was wrong, including the gearboxes which I had to machine new drive shafts. The turret was really wrong and mounted in the wrong place on the upper deck, so it got a Tamiya turret and all the mods. For you lovers of Porsche products, this is the VK4501P or Porsche-Tiger. it was Porsche's entry in the Tiger competition and lost out to the Henschel VK4501H Tiger. Anyway, as they had already ordered 100 hulls, 90 of those were converted to tank destroyers, but one of the original 10 represented here went with the unit to Russia as a command tank.
    Attached Files
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

... you should be institutionalized!
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Davjacva
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Nov 2022

This is the work on scratch-building my Leopard 1A2 turret. The original intention was to make just the initial one, but after I showed the master to Merriman, he talked me into making it out of fiberglass(GRP), so took me through the whole process of making the tools and the result was not only being able to have one out of GRP, but also it was set up so we could roto-cast it and made a few out of Alumulite. Made a master of the mantlet, and machined a L7A1 gun barrel, which had to be done in three parts because of taper and offset of the center bore evacuator. Had to buy more tooling for my TAIG lathe for this one (Joy of Joys!!! More tools!!) then cast the gun up with a hollow bore being cast in. I've made turrets and structures before, but never went this route as this was a turret with curves and more rounded than one with angled panels. So made base and outlines in styrene and filled with insulation foam with white glue. I kept marking dimensions on the foam and would sand away. I used Evercoat bondo and it would initially eat into the foam because of the polyester, but I would just fill and keep going. After a while, there was so much bondo that it rarely happened anymore. This turret lended itself to the screeding process for a couple of areas, so a lot of enjoyable learning curves on this one. I haven't finish this turret yet. It got superseded by the Nautilus, which got superceded by the Panther above, so I'm thinking about jumping back on it to finish it, which there's not much left. The hull (came from the Leopard 1A4 Tamiya kit that uses the same hull, but with a different turret) was given to me by a friend and it actually has more work to do to upgrade it than the turret. If you look at the 5th to last photo, the photo behind it shows the doorway of a C-141 jet at 1200ft, and the the person going out that door. This is kind of interesting as four years later, I'd be in a torpedo tube at 1300ft in the opposite direction cutting the 200ft protective torpedo wire protector that got stuck in the door with cold ass 1300ft 40-deg water rushing in at about a foot deep. Funny how life laughs at you with this things.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Davjacva
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Nov 2022

Somehow, when you load the photos in order, they dont go in the order you put them, may be how they're numbered. Anyway, its now the 6th photo, and you'll have to make order of the jumbled mess of photos yourselves. I'll try something different next time.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Davjacva
          This is the work on scratch-building my Leopard 1A2 turret. The original intention was to make just the initial one, but after I showed the master to Merriman, he talked me into making it out of fiberglass(GRP), so took me through the whole process of making the tools and the result was not only being able to have one out of GRP, but also it was set up so we could roto-cast it and made a few out of Alumulite. Made a master of the mantlet, and machined a L7A1 gun barrel, which had to be done in three parts because of taper and offset of the center bore evacuator. Had to buy more tooling for my TAIG lathe for this one (Joy of Joys!!! More tools!!) then cast the gun up with a hollow bore being cast in. I've made turrets and structures before, but never went this route as this was a turret with curves and more rounded than one with angled panels. So made base and outlines in styrene and filled with insulation foam with white glue. I kept marking dimensions on the foam and would sand away. I used Evercoat bondo and it would initially eat into the foam because of the polyester, but I would just fill and keep going. After a while, there was so much bondo that it rarely happened anymore. This turret lended itself to the screeding process for a couple of areas, so a lot of enjoyable learning curves on this one. I haven't finish this turret yet. It got superseded by the Nautilus, which got superceded by the Panther above, so I'm thinking about jumping back on it to finish it, which there's not much left. The hull (came from the Leopard 1A4 Tamiya kit that uses the same hull, but with a different turret) was given to me by a friend and it actually has more work to do to upgrade it than the turret. If you look at the 5th to last photo, the photo behind it shows the doorway of a C-141 jet at 1200ft, and the the person going out that door. This is kind of interesting as four years later, I'd be in a torpedo tube at 1300ft in the opposite direction cutting the 200ft protective torpedo wire protector that got stuck in the door with cold ass 1300ft 40-deg water rushing in at about a foot deep. Funny how life laughs at you with this things.
          Idiot Torpedoman!

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Davjacva
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Nov 2022

I knew there were more photos of this Leopard turret work , and looking around I forgot I had 7 'Cabal Reports from 2006 on this thing with lots of really great tool-making photos. I'll see how I can get them on.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...