X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ffr2608
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Oct 2009

Darrin's build corner....lotus, sdv, delphin

I'm back and ready to start posting some builds again. The family recently escaped Southern California and now call Nashville, Tennessee our home. We live in a lake community so it's time to build boats...
    First up is a 007 Lotus was a perfect subject. I printed the master and took some crude molds in Ultracal30 plaster. Up first are some quick renders of the CAD model.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ffr2608; 12-08-2022, 03:57 PM.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Welcome to freedom Darrin. Can't wait to see more of your inspiring work here. How do I get on the queue for a Lotus hull??... who do I gotta kill to get in that line?

Love your work!

David
    In Student Mode
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ffr2608
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Oct 2009

Darn,

Not sure if the molds made it as there was a TON of discarding on the move. Will let you know.

DH
      Last edited by ffr2608; 12-06-2022, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by ffr2608
        Darn,

Not sure if the molds made it as there was a TON of discarding on the move. Will let you know.

DH
        No sweat. Not like I don't have a ton of unfinished work as it is.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ffr2608
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Oct 2009

I know most of you like to use the WTC but I really want to do the box / lid thing on this one with an endcap to grab the battery. Here is a rough plan and was thinking of powering the 2 outside motors for propulsion and steering.

DH
          Attached Files

Comment

• tifosi12
            Commander
            • Jul 2020

I know most of you like to use the WTC but I really want to do the box / lid thing on this one with an endcap to grab the battery. Here is a rough plan and was thinking of powering the 2 outside motors for propulsion and steering.

DH
            Very cool. I'm working (on and off) on the same project. I also intend to use the two outside motors for propulsion and steering and like you I will put in a box and not a SD. That's kind of a given with the shape of the car.

The main difference to your project is that I will 3D print the car. I have a good STL model of it. This way I can size it perfectly to the dimensions of the propellers.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

• tifosi12
              Commander
              • Jul 2020

BTW: You mention Delphin. As in the WW2 German one person sub?

That's another project I'd like to do somewhere down the line. Already got the STL files from Germany.

Comment

• Aug 2008

How about three of these installed TYPHOON style?

The two 1.25" diameter WTC's, each housing a direct drive motor, ESC, and battery.

The central WTC houses the receiver, ballast tank and low-pressure blower, BLM, receiver, and angle keeper.

Only four-channels: differential throttle, channel 4 and channel 3. Stern planes, channel 2. Ballast sub-system, channel 1.

No need for a practical rudder, just steer with differential throttle.​

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ffr2608
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Oct 2009

I do have a 1:6 glass Delfin which is in the queue. Lotus is first in line.

DH

Comment

• tifosi12
                    Commander
                    • Jul 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    How about three of these installed TYPHOON style?

The two 1.25" diameter WTC's, each housing a direct drive motor, ESC, and battery.

The central WTC houses the receiver, ballast tank and low-pressure blower, BLM, receiver, and angle keeper.

Only four-channels: differential throttle, channel 4 and channel 3. Stern planes, channel 2. Ballast sub-system, channel 1.

No need for a practical rudder, just steer with differential throttle.​

David
                    I'm actually going with two thrusters, so no motor inside the SD. Trying to keep the in and out points to the SD to a minimum to prevent leaks. Agreed on the differential throttle.

Comment

• tifosi12
                      Commander
                      • Jul 2020

I do have a 1:6 glass Delfin which is in the queue. Lotus is first in line.

DH
                      I assume that too (like my 3D files) came from Germany?

Comment

• ffr2608
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Oct 2009

The Delfin is of my own design too. More on that one later. Here are some images of the hull layup. A bit rough with the gelcoat but it is solid and straight.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• tifosi12
                          Commander
                          • Jul 2020

Nicely done. Are you going to sculpt the louvres too?

My 3D file actually is wrotten on one side, so I'll have to split the model, mirror one half and stitch it back together. The good news is it shows all the little details. And I have the license plate as well. :)

Comment

• tifosi12
                            Commander
                            • Jul 2020

BTW: I hope you'll pull through with your project. I have seen these Lotus cars on here in the past but never one that actually was ever completed.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Darrin, glad you are back at it. You do great work!
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...