X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thorbrandr
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Mar 2022

Sources for plan drawings of WWI U-boats

Been starting to dig in on my SM U-35 project.

Is there a source for the period plan views of the boats? Everything I can find seems to be second hand. I.E., a drawing or sketch from other sources. Of the class, U-31 is the only other boat I can find and references on. I have one single section to work with and low resolution.

I have found two 3D models, and one 1/350 scale model. Of the 3D models, one is totally off. The other is decent for a video game, but needs work to become a passable printable large scale model. Not certain the 1/350 model can help, but at least it is something to work with.

I do have the book on the Das Werk U-9 model creation and the challenges with lack of references. Fascinating read there. Pretty impressive that they sent divers down to the wreck of the U-12 to get measurements and photos.

Thanks

Chris
    Last edited by Thorbrandr; 09-25-2022, 05:38 PM.
  • DrSchmidt
    Captain
    • Apr 2014

Comment

• Thorbrandr
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Mar 2022

Thank you. I missed the fact that one of the sheets cover the earlier boats. there were some differences from the U-19 to U-31 to U-51 runs, even for the ones from the same yard. But, this helps!

Chris

Comment

• Davidh
        Captain
        • Nov 2010

Hi Chris,

I don't know if my U-23 build here could be useful.

Scratch Build project SM U-23 Class World war one U-boote. Zero Bubble model design. - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)

David H

Comment

• DrSchmidt
          Captain
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Thorbrandr

Thank you. I missed the fact that one of the sheets cover the earlier boats. there were some differences from the U-19 to U-31 to U-51 runs, even for the ones from the same yard. But, this helps!

Chris
          Yes...it's unbelievable how fast they developed new variants and sub-types at that time.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
            Captain
            • Apr 2014

Btw.: There is a very comprehensive book that covers German WWI subs with allot of usable drawings:

Eberhard Rössler: The U-Boat: The Evolution and Technical History of German Submarines

Comment

• Sam Victory
              Commander
              • Sep 2021

download there: The U-boat : The Evolution and Technical History of German Submarines by Eberhard Rössler - PDF Drive

peace

V​

Comment

• Thorbrandr
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Mar 2022

The link is a Trojan. - NOPE. See below. for others, the link will get you to the book download, just be patient and careful! - Chris
                Last edited by Thorbrandr; 10-01-2022, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• Sam Victory
                  Commander
                  • Sep 2021

The link is a Trojan.
                  Or PM me with your email and I'll send you. To be honest, I have tried that link and everything is good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	177
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	165125

V

Comment

• Thorbrandr
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Mar 2022

Originally posted by Sam Victory

Or PM me with your email and I'll send you. To be honest, I have tried that link and everything is good.

V
                    The download kept unpacking a flash player. Also tried popping windows on the link.

Comment

• Thorbrandr
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Mar 2022

Originally posted by Sam Victory

V
                      My iPad threw warnings. On the MacBook, what I ma getting is a request to load flash player, which adobe has deprecated. No security updates for flash have been released in a long while.

Chris

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

It is a site that tries to fool you into clicking on the warnings for malicious intent. That being said Chris you are smart in knowing that flash is no longer. I closed that window and the site allowed me to download the pdf.
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Thorbrandr
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Mar 2022

Originally posted by trout
                          It is a site that tries to fool you into clicking on the warnings for malicious intent. That being said Chris you are smart in knowing that flash is no longer. I closed that window and the site allowed me to download the pdf.
                          Thank you for the help!

My iPad did the fake virus detected thing. My MacBook did not, but the first pdf download wanted to install Flash. I ignored that based on your comments, and eventually peeled the onion to where I got the actual book download.

Chris

Comment

• Thorbrandr
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Mar 2022

I also ordered a copy of the book anyways - authors would get paid, even if they let it out as a pdf.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              • Aug 2008

I also ordered a copy of the book anyways - authors would get paid, even if they let it out as a pdf.
                              Good man! Pay a price for a service or product. Or, at the very least, acknowledge the authors work. Not enough of your kind of thinking going on these days.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...