The next sub on the printer - 1/72 Typhoon

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SubDude
    replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver

    Steve,

    Your Typhoon is magnificent! Just for my information. How many print hours do you have in the Typhoon at this point? That boat is going to displace a lot of water! Great project!!

    Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    Thanks Rob. At this point I have lost track on how many hours it has taken. At this scale I had some issues with the files printing in their stock condition. Randy Sanders has helped with some different files but then I lost a couple parts due to something that really had me puzzled initially causing me to have to change how I printed the parts and as a result I gave up trying to keep up with it. I have been printing it on and off since 9/28.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by RCJetDude
    Almost done....

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20211229_204623.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	157430
    Steve,

    Your Typhoon is magnificent! Just for my information. How many print hours do you have in the Typhoon at this point? That boat is going to displace a lot of water! Great project!!

    Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

    Leave a comment:


  • Das Boot
    replied
    Enough room for a small house.

    Leave a comment:


  • SubDude
    replied
    Almost done....

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20211229_204623.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	157430

    Leave a comment:


  • Halcyon66
    replied
    Looks awesome.

    Regards,

    Gregory

    Leave a comment:


  • SubDude
    replied
    Originally posted by Das Boot
    Steve, what kind of primer do you use? I’m learning airbrushing, but I prefer can primer.
    Casey
    Hey Casey, I use a High Fill Polyurethane automotive primer called Finish 1. It is a two part primer so not air dried. Cures quite quickly and is very easy to sand. I spray it on with a cheap HVLP sprayer I got at Walmart. Cleans up with Lacquer Thinner. It is more expensive than rattle can primer but the results are superior so to me it is worth it. I will not go back to the rattle cans except on small parts. The primer actually creates a hard shell that gets into any pores and helps seal and lock it all together. Good stuff.

    Leave a comment:


  • SubDude
    replied
    Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
    Wow that is a big boat! The submarine is looking really great Steve! You really have printing in ASA dialed. From the photos the finish looks great!
    Thanks Nick. This one is ABS. I print ASA and ABS using the same settings.

    Leave a comment:


  • Das Boot
    replied
    Steve, what kind of primer do you use? I’m learning airbrushing, but I prefer can primer.
    Casey

    Leave a comment:


  • Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Wow that is a big boat! The submarine is looking really great Steve! You really have printing in ASA dialed. From the photos the finish looks great!
    Last edited by Monahan Steam Models; 12-11-2021, 05:40 PM. Reason: Spelling error

    Leave a comment:


  • SubDude
    replied
    Another hull section printed. One word. Enormous. Makes me want to go back and make another 1/72 LA class boat. Gotta have the set, right?

    Click image for larger version  Name:	20211211_130030.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.2 KB ID:	156746

    It will be the full length of the 8' table when done.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20211211_130912.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	156747
    Last edited by SubDude; 12-11-2021, 01:11 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by RCJetDude
    Yes it is.Had a few issues to work through with the files/prints but it is moving forward now. It is going to be a beast!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20211130_100112.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	156404
    Right on Steve!

    No doubt about it, that is your kind of boat for sure! 3D printing!! You are the master!

    Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

    Leave a comment:


  • SubDude
    replied
    Yes it is.Had a few issues to work through with the files/prints but it is moving forward now. It is going to be a beast!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20211130_100112.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	156404

    Leave a comment:


  • Halcyon66
    replied
    This thread went quiet, is the model still progressing?

    Regards,

    Gregory

    Leave a comment:


  • Halcyon66
    replied
    Many thanks.

    Regards,

    Gregory

    Leave a comment:


  • SubDude
    replied
    Originally posted by Halcyon66
    Can i ask the diameter of the thrust tubes on the 1/72 scale, what dia props are you looking to use?

    Regards,

    Gregory
    About 70mm or 2-3/4"

    Leave a comment:

Working...