X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • substandard
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jun 2020

1:48 Los Angels Class Hull Glass Layup

What better way to celebrate Canada Day than to start a build of a big RC model?
    Have not done glass work for a long time so though I'd start with sail.
    I do the foam sanding outside if the Ontario weather allows and with apprpriate breathing and eye protection.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	saillayup (1 of 1)-5 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	141297 I Click image for larger version  Name:	saillayup (1 of 1)-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.4 KB ID:	141302

Click image for larger version  Name:	saillayup (1 of 1)-5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.9 KB ID:	141299Click image for larger version  Name:	saillayup (1 of 1)-5-5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.4 KB ID:	141296
    Ready for glass now, I've coated the foam with packaging tape. I am using polyester resin that will eat the pink builders foam if it makes direct contact.
    Hopefully the packing tape will not wrinkle as the resin sets.
    Found my old stash of fiberglass. I even have some peel-ply (sweet).
    Click image for larger version  Name:	saillayup (1 of 1)-6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.6 KB ID:	141298

Here is a sweet find. Sono tube that is nominally 8 inches. But in reality measures about 7 and 5/8". It looks very straight and perfectly round.The LA class 1:48 scale build would have about 43" of level can in the mid ship. With glass hull thickness of 1/4" on top this should result in a hull that is 1:48 scaled almost right on size to the LA class. Saves alot of foam cutting and sanding. I just need to figure out how to coat it first so I can break it out of the glass layup without making mess of the final product. The dogs name is Ozzie. He's been known to chew on stuff that falls off the workbenches. Screw driver handles, sand paper etc. If it falls on the floor he gets first dibs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	saillayup (1 of 1)-9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.6 KB ID:	141300
    Attached Files
    Last edited by substandard; 07-01-2020, 01:54 PM.
Working...