Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

If you're going brushless just get a pair of 28mm outrunners and run them direct drive, plenty of torque for turning the relatively small props of that boat.

Comment

• Stephen Vick
      Lieutenant
      • Nov 2018

The main reason for the belt drive is to drop the shafts down low , but if I can get away with getting them low enough without it I will. The Graupner motors are very low RPM , so I'm not worried about the reduction so much. I plan to run 11 volts and want a long run time , so the motor battery combo is critical. I like to run for many hours once I reach the pond..... Until I get the motors in the tech rack and start playing with the geometry, I just don't know. Motors are on order!

Comment

• Stephen Vick
        Lieutenant
        • Nov 2018

Click image for larger version  Name:	ADA06704-EC97-4D02-AF96-B36FEDBE9D5E.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	5.8 KB ID:	129119
        Progress! Now that school is closed for winter break, I expect to make great progress on this build. Hull bracing is going in, though I will depart from kit instructions in a few key areas. The idea is to be able to slide the entire WTC out of the hull. Also I will be able to detach the aft hull section from the WTC. More pics soon.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Stephen Vick
          Lieutenant
          • Nov 2018

Hull is coming along nicely. I use some of the stock Robbe bits as per the instructions, some are left out, some repurposed. Additional bracing goes into the center section to allow me to make the entire WTC removable. The aft section is held in place with a stud and single thumb nut.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0AC6C7E2-D8EB-4F11-9DEA-9933BAF9F702.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	129287Click image for larger version

Name:	FE8DD087-5909-4F7C-AF7C-34F03CED8D8D.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	129286

Comment

• Stephen Vick
            Lieutenant
            • Nov 2018

I'm reviving this thread! The XXIII was complete and then smashed by a cat (knocked off shelf) so needs repair. I am back on the Type VII with the arrival of bayonet rings from Engle Modellbau and I just ordered a pair of Speed 500 brushless motors. On the motors It seems the prevailing wisdom is for direct drive, so that is what we will do. Pic's to follow... BTW the long hiatus was restoration of a Newport 12 meter sailboat...

Comment

• Stephen Vick
              Lieutenant
              • Nov 2018

Comment

• Stephen Vick
                Lieutenant
                • Nov 2018

She's coming along good now. Bayonet rings installed and fit perfect. The boat can come apart in 5 major assemblies; The WTC can slide out of the forward hull, tech rack slides out of WTC sealed by bayonet rings, stern section held to aft WTC endcap by 4 studs and 4 thumb nuts, Tower held by 1 stud and wingnut, and forward hatch under bow planes to access bow planes linkage. So great access to all parts of the boat!

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

I like the fact it can break down, makes traveling with a large sub easier. Look forward to more updates.
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Stephen Vick
                    Lieutenant
                    • Nov 2018

Originally posted by trout
                    I like the fact it can break down, makes traveling with a large sub easier. Look forward to more updates.
                    I drive a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Mazda Miata..... So breakdown is important

Comment

Working...