Jimmy Carter - 1/144

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HardRock
    replied
    Shaft is slightly out of round. Invest in some silicon grease and lay it on the sucker and see if it stops the leak - otherwise replace the control rod with a nice bright, lusterously smooth, new piece of brass.

Leave a comment:

• DMTNT
    replied
    Told you there was more to come! Some testing revealed a tiny ingestion of water into the aft space of the SD. Sealing it up and blowing through the modified Shrader valve reveals a small stream of bubbles coming from the aft plane servo rod seal. Thinking I was being clever, I popped it out and replaced it with the spare that came with the SD. Low and behold.... I got the exact same result. Bubbles.

Which leads me to two questions:

1. Could this gap in the seal + the action of the servo rod sliding back & forth be enough to cause a leak?

2. What is the fix? I’ve already tried replacing the seal. The shaft was an impossibly tight fit in the replacement seal, so I lightly sanded it. However, on its own I would say it still fits into its respective seal tighter than the other shafts do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	42B567B3-BB37-41E6-92D1-E66098E75C9F.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	130426

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Ahaaaa Braddy, come toward the light. That little 212 is a wonderful thing. The detailing is crisp and very accurate and (more importantly) its 1/96 scale!

Leave a comment:

• DMTNT
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

For those looking over Brady's and my shoulder:

Ellie and I were pleased to host the guy here last week. I showed him the shop and we all later had a nice sit-down and chat. What a delight to deal with a well dressed, polite and well spoken young man. There is hope yet for the future.

Brady, thanks for posting the pictures of your JC (I just can't spell out the name without puking in my mouth). A very well executed conversion. The grafted on hull sections are seamless, your detailing is note-worthy, the decals (with exception of the rudder) show a successful job of hiding the backing film, and the weathering is spot on for a 'new' boat, or one recently out of the yards or drydock.

Good work, Brady!

And that concludes the ass-kissing portion of this post.

I gave him a half-started 1/96 Type 212 kit. He won't have any problem tooling this thing around his backyard pool! And for God's sake!...…. …… make yourself a proper working space! What's wrong with you?!!!!

David
    Who are you calling well dressed....

Keep that talk up and you are liable to be visited by the ghost of James Earl Carter, who will haunt you with charity and civility for all eternity. Muhahaha!

And you just had to point out that rudder..... sheesh. Just when I was enjoying my moment. I thought the bird **** would be enough to distract you.

Honestly though, for anyone reading, it was my great pleasure to visit with David and Ellie last week. Better folks you will not sooner find - and I mean that. I am thrilled to see what kind of trouble I can get into with that 212. That was incredibly generous, of you, David. Honestly, it was enough for me to just sit and listen. We have a strange, but tight, little community here, and I consider myself lucky to be able to participate, at whatever level.

This is not the end of the story for this SSN-23. But it has been a fun trip thus far, and I am glad to have been able to share it with all of you.

Cheers!

-Brady

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by DMTNT
    As promised.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	JC1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	115.4 KB ID:	130388
    Click image for larger version  Name:	JC2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	455.1 KB ID:	130389
    Click image for larger version  Name:	JC3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	372.9 KB ID:	130390
    Click image for larger version  Name:	JC4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	473.2 KB ID:	130391
    Click image for larger version  Name:	JC5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	434.1 KB ID:	130392
    Click image for larger version  Name:	JC6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	428.2 KB ID:	130393

And my dining room graving dock, err.. table:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	JC7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	161.8 KB ID:	130394

Now let's see how she does on her next trip to the pond. Stay tuned!

-Brady
    For those looking over Brady's and my shoulder:

Ellie and I were pleased to host the guy here last week. I showed him the shop and we all later had a nice sit-down and chat. What a delight to deal with a well dressed, polite and well spoken young man. There is hope yet for the future.

Brady, thanks for posting the pictures of your JC (I just can't spell out the name without puking in my mouth). A very well executed conversion. The grafted on hull sections are seamless, your detailing is note-worthy, the decals (with exception of the rudder) show a successful job of hiding the backing film, and the weathering is spot on for a 'new' boat, or one recently out of the yards or drydock.

Good work, Brady!

And that concludes the ass-kissing portion of this post.

I gave him a half-started 1/96 Type 212 kit. He won't have any problem tooling this thing around his backyard pool! And for God's sake!...…. …… make yourself a proper working space! What's wrong with you?!!!!

David

Leave a comment:

• DMTNT
    replied
    As promised.

Name:	JC1.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	130388

Name:	JC2.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	130389

Name:	JC3.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	130390

Name:	JC4.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	473.2 KB
ID:	130391

Name:	JC5.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	130392

Name:	JC6.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	130393

And my dining room graving dock, err.. table:

Name:	JC7.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	130394

Now let's see how she does on her next trip to the pond. Stay tuned!

-Brady

Leave a comment:

• DMTNT
    replied
    Sounds good, Brady. I'll give you the VIP tour.

For that day. (from 4:00) https://youtu.be/voPmfT09jlg
    Email inbound, Mr. Joubert.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Sounds good, Brady. I'll give you the VIP tour.

For that day. (from 4:00) https://youtu.be/voPmfT09jlg

Leave a comment:

• DMTNT
    replied
    Originally posted by trout
    Brady, your on the west coast? Whereabouts?
    I live in Las Vegas, but also run subs with some guys in SoCal (Yorba Linda Regional Park).
    Very nice! I am up in Seattle. I don’t really get down your way a whole lot, but I will definitely give you guys a shout the next time I am in the neighborhood.

Mr. M - let me get my bearings first and see what’s up. If I can make it work I will let you know. It would be great to say hello.

Leave a comment:

replied

I will be in Delaware through Thursday. Maybe I can steal a car and bushwhack my way south and buy you a well deserved beer.

You and Ellie seem to have quite the story from what I have gleaned. Sounds like you each found a good partner, and that is something truly special.

As for what comes next? That November that is shaping up in the next thread over is looking better and better by the day.

-Brady
    Well, talking parts done. When you going to be here?

David

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Brady, your on the west coast? Whereabouts?
    I live in Las Vegas, but also run subs with some guys in SoCal (Yorba Linda Regional Park).

Leave a comment:

• DMTNT
    replied

Single!?

On the East Coast?

Stop by our sprawling industrial complex before you leave for the Left Coast. Ellie will fix you up with one of her Filipino buddies. That will straighten your sloppy ass out, quick-time. How do you think I got domesticated?!

What's your next project?

David
    I will be in Delaware through Thursday. Maybe I can steal a car and bushwhack my way south and buy you a well deserved beer.

You and Ellie seem to have quite the story from what I have gleaned. Sounds like you each found a good partner, and that is something truly special.

As for what comes next? That November that is shaping up in the next thread over is looking better and better by the day.

-Brady

Leave a comment:

replied
    Thank you for the compliments, gents. I am out of town on the East Coast for the week, but when I get home I will provide some more detail.

DM - Evidance that I am too single for my own good, my dining room has served as my primary workspace on this project. To my credit though, it gets plenty messy.

Markings are from 4 of the Yankee Modelworks 1/144 Seawolf sets. I needed like 8 of those little PROJ markings! Also, the real CARTER has some draft markings amidships that don’t make any sense. At least she does in one photo I saw. Somehow 41 is stenciled below 34 in an immediately adjacent row.

Yes I did assemble a kit. I stood on the shoulders of brilliant men and goddam*it, I built a submarine I can be proud of. A lot of credit goes to you bums, and for that, I thank you.

Stay tuned.

-Brady
    Single!?

On the East Coast?

Stop by our sprawling industrial complex before you leave for the Left Coast. Ellie will fix you up with one of her Filipino buddies. That will straighten your sloppy ass out, quick-time. How do you think I got domesticated?!

What's your next project?

David
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-18-2019, 09:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DMTNT
    replied
    Thank you for the compliments, gents. I am out of town on the East Coast for the week, but when I get home I will provide some more detail.

DM - Evidance that I am too single for my own good, my dining room has served as my primary workspace on this project. To my credit though, it gets plenty messy.

Markings are from 4 of the Yankee Modelworks 1/144 Seawolf sets. I needed like 8 of those little PROJ markings! Also, the real CARTER has some draft markings amidships that don’t make any sense. At least she does in one photo I saw. Somehow 41 is stenciled below 34 in an immediately adjacent row.

Name:	3C653BDD-D349-43B6-9DB3-A22FDCBE1BF7.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	130147

Yes I did assemble a kit. I stood on the shoulders of brilliant men and goddam*it, I built a submarine I can be proud of. A lot of credit goes to you bums, and for that, I thank you.

Stay tuned.

-Brady
    Last edited by DMTNT; 02-18-2019, 09:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    "I find a man's working space to be the true picture into his state-of-mind." I'm just scurring off to clean up my shed. No reason; just cleaning etc etc, mumble, mumble. PS That sub looks grerat Brady, (but it would look AWSOME in 1/96! Just sayin.

Leave a comment:

Working...