X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rick Teskey
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jan 2009

Jupiter 2

Here is the 12 inch polar lights jupiter 2 "from Lost in space" t.v series that I am converting too r/c for fluidic space flight.
    I am using an otter divers box in place of a sub driver/ wtc as it was in my pile of **** and fits the bill.
    The sub/ ship will be dynamic diver and is propelled by a pair of small bilge pumps run on a 2.2 amp 11.1 lipo all controlled with Kevin McLeod electronics and sombra labs reciever.
    Tub test have been satisfactory... most satisfactory ( DR. Beaker supercar) but need big pool test too see how the saucer shape will preform in flight.
    Rick
    Attached Files
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Anybody who so glibly tosses in a Supercar line, has got my attention.

You nut! ... a JUPITER-2??!!~!!

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Rick, this is obviously a adaptation of the systems you use to propel the Proteus and the flying sub models of yours. What are the exhaust nozzles made from. Good idea. Im wondering, I have seen videos of the flying sub model in action and it seemed to have a tendancy to "hunt" or not maintain a steady course about the yaw axis. I figured that , that was a consequence of being rather flat nose. Does the Proteus have the same tendency?
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Rick Teskey
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Jan 2009

j2

Hi Dave and Mark.
        I don't know what video you watched Mark but my fs-1 is pretty stable in " filght" and has a sort of built in depth keeper inherant too the design shape or the amount of foam that is in her or plain dumb luck!
        The nozzels are made from a pair of 3/8th ball valves but a couple of pieces of pipe would have worked as well.
        From the pumps I use some 1/4 " bore surgical tubing which allows the pitch and the elasticity acts as a return preload if you will back too center.
        Proteus is a beast of a different color and no longer uses bilge pumps , I switched too a pair of ducted pump jets made from a hot air curling iron that the wife was going too trash, they reminded me of Daves rotor and stator pump jets he made for fs-1 and Seaview so I recycled them befor the last Indy reggatta.
        So far Proteus preforms well enough for another fantasy ship.
        I look forward too more from Skydiver from you and Dave.
        Yes Dave.. Supercar! another back burner model I am pondering maybe 32 incher.
        I got the boxed set from Mrs. Claus, most courious ... most courious indeed!
        Funny watching this series brought me back 47 years too a 5 yr old with a cereal bowl on the living room floor , and I am actually impressed at the detail the writer went too in the techno babble .

Comment

• Aug 2008

Rick,

I got the Phil Rae drawings of the SUPERCAR if you need 'em, Rick. Yeah, I figured that it was a gas-turbine in the air, and, before hitting the water, isolated the downstream side of the compressor section and used the starter motor to swing the compressor-pump-jet with fluid flow (now incompressible water) routed around the core of the engine, like todays high-bypass bird-eating-machines.

... Oh! This is the J-2 thread!

... Never mind.

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tugfan
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Nov 2010

The new Moebius J2 is much bigger.

Comment

• Rick Teskey
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jan 2009

Yes it is and I have one of them as well, but since I have this smaller one I thought I would start small and see how it behaves.
              The 18 inch has more real estate and begs for a ballast system and retractable landing gear , now if I can just find enough deturium too power the fusion core ....
              John Robinson

Comment

• Aug 2008

You nut!....
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...