Blueback. Seriously it is a Blueback this time.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Beautiful (except for those old, yellowed, 'silvered' hull number decals!). You did that kit proud, sir.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

The hull numbers came from Woodland dry transferres. I yellowed them myself because they are below the waterline. Might have gone overboard - a bit. I really enjoyed making that boat; its a joy to put together something that so well made. Thanks.

Comment

• SSN SonarTech
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Jul 2012

Looks great!!

US Submarine Force: Making the Navy worthwhile since 1900

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
          The hull numbers came from Woodland dry transferres. I yellowed them myself because they are below the waterline. Might have gone overboard - a bit. I really enjoyed making that boat; its a joy to put together something that so well made. Thanks.

No, the numbers on the sail
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
            Vice Admiral
            • Mar 2013

Duh. Sorry. I read hull and couldn't get my mind above the waterline! Yep, those old numbers came from a SU-25 and were originally outline numbers before I filled them in with cream paint. They are a bit horrible, I agree.

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by SSN SonarTech
              Looks great!!
              Thank Mate. Get 'em while they're hot. You'll have to walk a long way to find a kit as good as this one.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Duh. Sorry. I read hull and couldn't get my mind above the waterline! Yep, those old numbers came from a SU-25 and were originally outline numbers before I filled them in with cream paint. They are a bit horrible, I agree.

LOL. Though, you have about that size on that sheet of dry-transfers, right?

And .... though it physically hurts me to say so ... that's an excellent job you did on that kit: well done sir. You're going to love how this beast handles in the water. Dave Manley, the originator of this excellent kit, got it right!

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

Unfortunately the Woodland transfers were a bit too small - hence the crappy old decals.

Comment

• SSN687
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Nov 2015

Nice Job on your Blueback, I'm building one also. I'm at the point of putting the tail cone together, is there some trick to getting the control rods connected to the yokes in the tail section after it has been put together, other than a lot of patients?

Ernie

Comment

• HardRock
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Mar 2013

Well done Ernie. Its a great boat to build and to run. The only thing that you have to do is to ensure that whatever tool you are using to tightern the grub screws in the rear yolks will fit through these two holes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010085.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	113794

Loosen the screws, retract the plane operating shafts a bit and let the yolks fall out (remembering their orientation). Then thread the control rod "Z" ends through the yolk horns (gently - they are a thight fit to prevent slop in the control system). Replace the yolks, reinsert the operating shafts and tighten to a snug fit. DON'T overthighten the grub screws - this is white metal not titanium.

Comment

• Aug 2008

[QUOTE=HardRock;n113793]Well done Ernie. Its a great boat to build and to run. The only thing that you have to do is to ensure that whatever tool you are using to tightern the grub screws in the rear yolks will fit through these two holes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n113794[/ATTACH]

Loosen the screws, retract the plane operating shafts a bit and let the yolks fall out (remembering their orientation). Then thread the control rod "Z" ends through the yolk horns (gently - they are a thight fit to prevent slop in the control system). Replace the yolks, reinsert the operating shafts and tighten to a snug fit. DON'T overthighten the grub screws - this is white metal not titanium.[/QUOT

​Good stuff, Hardrock. Thanks.

M
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n113230[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n113231[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n113232[/ATTACH]Uthats...utats...utats...that's all folks. All done and finished and heading for the pond.
                          Look at all the storage bins he has on the wall. LOOK...........Hes organized!
                          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• HardRock
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Mar 2013

Like you Mark, I have a several submarines BUT I also have enough bits to make 10 more, (although I have no idea what they'd look like).

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

That is a great looking sub. You did it justice. I also like the weathering you did.
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HardRock
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Mar 2013

Thanks Mate. Hope you are travelling well.

Comment

Working...