X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Albacore

Here we have a Subtek Albacore that I decided to upgrade with a Dave Meriman 3" Sub-driver. It is also an X-tail, having four control surfaces that act all together for rudder and altogether for planes giving you extreme maneuverability. I also modified it with front bow planes as well, all driven by a Polk radio and receiver with a Caswell/McCloud ADF and an atomic subs/Thor speed control.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tR1ti-3e61cf5dcd8&#49.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	99855

I modified it with my ballast tank vent tube to keep air/gas from building up under the upper hull. In short it is a speed demon with exceptional control in diving and surfacing. I even routinely hover with it. Give it a look see and watch the video. Cheers.Click image for larger version

Name:	IUFCA-3e61cf5dcd81&#.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	99854Click image for larger version

Name:	FDRFi-3e61cf5dcd81&.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	99853
    Last edited by greenman407; 12-23-2010, 02:33 PM.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Name:	FyNo0-3e61cf5dcd81.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	58355Click image for larger version

Name:	f33C9-3e61cf5dcd81&.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	58354Click image for larger version

Name:	tMh99-3e61cf5dcd81.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	58353 Click image for larger version

Name:	FCgTA-3e61cf5dcd81&.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	58352

Here are some more operational still shots from a recent encounter with a pond.:biggrin:
    Last edited by greenman407; 12-23-2010, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Here is the aforementioned video.

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

These results are quite repeatable including the ability to hover. Take your wtc out of the sub and put it in a sink or other such body of water where you can closely watch the release of gas into the ballast tank. You need to have a radio with a detented knob on it and asign your ballast tank channel to it. Slowly rotate the knob until you see the gas just barely starting to go in. At that point put a mark next to the pointer on the radio so that you can return to that point at will. Next set your sub up in the wild. By that I mean instead of at full ballast tank the sail is sticking out of the water, add a little extra weight in it so that it goes down on its own without forward motion. Now you have the capacity to flood and vent to control them both enough to add a little of each as needed to stablize your decent or rise to achieve nuetral bouancy. However be aware that if you get too much weight in it you run the risk of being stuck on the bottom and not being able to return to the surface.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

The next modifacation is to make it a duo-prop drive. Dave Meriman sold me these cool propellors and two motor output end cap for my wtc. I will start on it in the near future. As a matter of fact I have already started on it, its just hit and miss while I devote myself to the Oscar.Click image for larger version

Name:	flash drive 4 316&#.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	58356
          Last edited by greenman407; 12-23-2010, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Name:	flash drive 2 409.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	58549 Ah the secret to my sucess, my head mechanic! He is a Austrailian bearded dragon named Klinky. He tirelessly keeps my submarines in tip top shape. He's mad at me cause I wont put it in drydock.Click image for larger version

Name:	flash drive 2 906.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	58550 And my son Nathan who does yoeman service.....................sometimes.
            Last edited by greenman407; 12-23-2010, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

I was having a problem with her broaching or porpoising at high speed. Ive tried different manufacturers of APCs but still no good. It worked great at medium to low speed but not at Flank speed. Then after recieving some advice from Dave Merriman and Kevin Mcleod I checked and found out that the C.G. was too far forward. After moving it back about an inch....WALLAH! its all good as they say nowadays. Now that, that problem has been resolved to my satisfaction we can now move on to the next project...................two propellors.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Name:	blue spring 042.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	59163 At BlueClick image for larger version

Name:	blue spring 040.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	59162 Spring you can see the Click image for larger version

Name:	123465.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	59161Albacore in one view spoutingClick image for larger version

Name:	blue spring 046.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	59158 gas out of the sail returning Click image for larger version

Name:	blue spring 036.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	59160from the depths of the abyss. In other views she is in the process of navigating thru the 10,000,000 gallon per day flow of water. I would take her down to the bottom and then rocket her back to the surfaceClick image for larger version

Name:	789654.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	59159 in a corkscrew type fassion. This I attribute to the fact that subs are weighted and foamed for operation in close to horizontal attitudes. In this case it was operating in the vertical. It made for some interesting manuevers. In the confines of a small spring like this one you need a small , very manueverable sub.
                Last edited by greenman407; 12-23-2010, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Here is a nice video that Al Nucifero shot for me of some of the Albacores operations at Blue Spring.
                  Last edited by greenman407; 10-18-2010, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

This thread was continued in the Builders thread section of this forum:
                    We welcome all your projects here, regardless of the model manufacturer. You can upload photographs to your own album and display them here.

Comment

Working...