USS Thresher

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by Albion
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]31493[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31494[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31495[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31496[/ATTACH]

    Here we go, shoved foam inside, as per the opened up photo. Got it so that mast and a bit of rudder were above waterline. Then put another piece of the green noodle inside, making sure that all my foam was below waterline. The first attempt it sat very high, so I cut 1/2 inch off the length and tried again. You can see the result. Not sitting level because the foam is moving inside but it's just above waterline by my eyes. The foam is same diameter as my wtc tube, so added a bit and called that the tank size.
    Quick work, sir. Tell me how you're going to compartment your WTC/SD.

    And I like your below waterline break-up of color. Tell us something about the technique you employed. Good looking model there!

    M

    Leave a comment:


  • HardRock
    replied
    I'm with you Bart; five poofteenths of an inch divided by three with a half twist and a nat's knacker over sixty four = 2.75mm so simple!

    Leave a comment:


  • bwi 971
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    Metric sucks!

    M
    And that's why you use it when you do calculations with your money......and to make things easier you use fractions for all your other stuff.....Ok Mr Spock that seems logical.

    Grtz,
    Bart

    Leave a comment:


  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by Albion
    It's the thresher which is already built. I've ripped out some lead which I think is over over kill from the previous wtc. So just need to dunk it and add foam to float, then add some more for surface trim. Simples.
    Oh, I did not catch that it was THRESHER. But, yeah, you got the idea. Let me know how it goes. And ... pictures!

    M

    Leave a comment:


  • Albion
    replied
    It's the thresher which is already built. I've ripped out some lead which I think is over over kill from the previous wtc. So just need to dunk it and add foam to float, then add some more for surface trim. Simples.

    Leave a comment:


  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by Albion
    Thanks Dave, a job for the weekend
    Of course once you add the combined weight and buoyancy of the two other ends of the completed cylinder (after dry space, ballast tank, and forward dry space) you will add/remove fixed ballast weight/buoyant foam to compensate. An easy matter.

    Take pictures.

    M

    Leave a comment:


  • Albion
    replied
    Thanks Dave, a job for the weekend

    Leave a comment:


  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Metric sucks!

    M

    Leave a comment:


  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    David Copeland taught me a nifty way to work out the floodable volume of the ballast tank if you can't/won't work out the total above waterline displacement of the model submarine.

    Finish the damned submarine as far as primer. Attach all appendages and running gear. For the M-1, put in about two-pounds of fixed ballast weight (depleted Uranium ... impress your friends) into the keel trough. No need for the SD yet. On the outside of the hull rubber-band enough foam to get the thing to proper submerged trim (just a small portion of the sail sticking into the air). Hack out a cylindrical piece of foam who's diameter is equal to the inside diameter of the SD you're eventually going to use. Start with a 12" long piece. Put it half-way along the length of the hull, mounted onto the SD saddles. Float the beast. Add, subtract to the length of the foam cylinder till the boat assumes proper surface trim (floats at the designed waterline).

    That cylindrical piece of foam is a direct physical representation of the volume of water you need to push out of the ballast tank to float the boat; as it's the diameter of the eventual ballast tank, you have a direct correlation between length of foam cylinder and length of the ballast tank that will be built within your SD/WTC.

    But .... keep in mind you have to account to floodable volume lost to all objects within the ballast tank (on-board bottle, SAS safety float-valve, hoses, blow-valve, linkages, scuttling-charge, etc.), so increase the length of the SD's ballast tank by ten-percent. And toss in another ten-percent just because I said so!

    There! You're good to go.

    Leave me alone!

    M

    Leave a comment:


  • greenman407
    replied
    ITS A Conspiracy.........I tell you......conspiracy! No Problem...I can adapt it. Ill just buy small and drill it out to an American size. Thatll showem.

    Leave a comment:


  • Albion
    replied
    I need a 3/16 seal, but just the seal, i don't need the body

    I'm going with a tank length of 150mm (6"), should give me 430cc displacement (15Fl Oz), that's nearly a pint!!!


    Mark - The Brits invented the imperial measurement system, and we now use Metric, about time you guys caught up ;). Anyway it appears we also may have invented the metric system.

    Leave a comment:


  • greenman407
    replied
    Originally posted by hardrock
    its all metric! Thats no good! **:";&^#!^+***!!!!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • bwi 971
    replied
    Originally posted by Albion
    1) without any gas tank in the ballast tank, how long should i make the tank?
    I'm a novice, not reached that stage yet, so I can’ t give you any decent advice on that one.

    Originally posted by Albion
    2) Looks like there should be a lip seal on the drive shaft. Could you let me know what it should be so i can get back in Singapore
    That depends of your shaft diameter if you are very unlucky and have the weird English system (LOL)
    You can get them here:



    If you have a metric shaft you can get them here (mine came from here):



    or here



    or here

    http://www.rc-sub-workshop.com/ListT...spx?tp=r&rid=3

    grtz,
    Bart

    Leave a comment:


  • HardRock
    replied
    Originally posted by greenman407
    Nice! I like the splined U joint. Where did you get it? Ill probably be needing some of those for the Seaview. There is a lot of original thinking going on, on this build.
    If your asking me about the length of your ballast tank.....well.....your asking the wrong guy. I would say make it too long. You can always go back and put a round piece of blue styrofoam in it to reduce its volume.
    Mark. These guys sell them. www.engel-modellbau.eu/Model Boat Accessories

    Leave a comment:


  • Albion
    replied
    Originally posted by greenman407
    Nice! I like the splined U joint. Where did you get it? .


    refer to post 27 at your own risk

    Leave a comment:

Working...