X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonP-UK
    Lieutenant
    • Feb 2010

Engel Typhoon

I'm not sure if I should be posting here, however at risk of getting a rocket up my bum from David Merriman here goes:-
    The model is based around an Engel Typhoon but modified with 2 - modules of my own design that each feature automatic static and dynamic trim controlled by my own level control (Salcon) and 4 piston tanks. the model features folding vanes controlled by forward ballast tanks, firing torpedoes (just two)
    and a home made bow thruster (not scale but bloody useful).
    I put two recievers in the model to save the problem of trailing wires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	typhoon2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	99760
    I built the boat for a friend to whom I owe more than I can ever repay and it runs really well and weighs
    less than half of the Engel original.

Name:	typhoon1.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	99759
    Mick is over the moon with his new boat and it has served the purpose
    of getting me off my apathy and getting back to modeling after a gap of 15 years or so
    .Click image for larger version

Name:	typhoon3.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	99758

Name:	typhoon4.jpg
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	99757
    Hope you guys like my efforts.

RonP
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Are you using silicone o-rings?

Comment

• RonP-UK
      Lieutenant
      • Feb 2010

Yes. I always use silicon, the best lubricant for silicon is water.
      Regards
      RonP

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by RonP-UK
        I'm not sure if I should be posting here, however at risk of getting a rocket up my bum from David Merriman here goes:-
        The model is based around an Engel Typhoon but modified with 2 - modules of my own design that each feature automatic static and dynamic trim controlled by my own level control (Salcon) and 4 piston tanks.
        the model features folding vanes controlled by forward ballast tanks, firing torpedoes (just two)
        and a home made bow thruster (not scale but bloody useful).
        I put two recievers in the model to save th[ATTACH=CONFIG]2954[/ATTACH]e problem of trailing wires
        I built the boat for a friend to whom I owe more than I can ever repay and it runs really well[ATTACH=CONFIG]2953[/ATTACH] and wieghs
        less than half of the Engel original. Mick is over the moon with his new boat and it has servrd the purpose
        of[ATTACH=CONFIG]2952[/ATTACH] getting me off my apathy and getting back to modelling after a gap of 15 years or so.
        Hope you guys like my efforts.
        RonP[ATTACH=CONFIG]2951[/ATTACH]
        Ron,

It's so good to see you back in the saddle, Ron.

For those new to the game: Ron Perrot is one of the true innovators and professionals in the field; his development, perfection and sales of his 'Salcon' auto-leveler device (paralleling Skip Asay's work in the States) did much to get guys like me, back then new to the activity of r/c model submarining, into the game.

Ron's a true practical engineer and quality fabricator. My success and recognition in the field today is do, in no small part, do to the careful and attentive tutelage by Ron and the other Greats in the field. Ron Perrot's positive influence on the hobby can not be over-stated.

As to which thread to place the above, Ron. Don't worry about it -- our chief assassin, Jim, will put it in the right thread category for you. Don't worry about me, compared to him I'm a pussy-cat; It's Jim who runs these boards with an iron fist. I think Mike is currently banned from the site, and in the past he's tossed my ass into the penalty box ... that's how tough this guy is.

Tread carefully around Jim.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman

It's Jim who runs these boards with an iron fist. I think Mike is currently banned from the site, and in the past he's tossed my ass into the penalty box ... that's how tough this guy is.
          David,
          Nah! I didn't get banned, I only used the s word (****). Now if I'd said "f*&^" like Merriman does every five minutes, or called someone an a**h***, like Merriman does, then I'd be in klink too, but you'll never see me use those words on this forum.
          Last edited by Outrider; 02-13-2010, 10:07 AM. Reason: Pottymouth
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Jim?

He's all yours, pal.

(ducking for cover).

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Pink knickers on a witch?

Comment

• Kazzer
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                Pink knickers on a witch?
                They don't wear any!

Comment

• Albion
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
                  They don't wear any!
                  My first wife and her sister did, sometimes
                  Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Outrider
                    Commander
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
                    Nah! I didn't get banned, I only used the s word (****). Now if I'd said "f*&^" like Merriman does every five minutes, or called someone an "a**h***", like Merriman does, then I'd be in klink too, but you'll never see me use those words on this forum.
                    OK, pal, I can see that a little talking to wasn't enough. I think you need to spend a little more time with "she who hates submarines"--perhaps the long weekend will be sufficient, perhaps you'll need to wait longer.

In any event, you're headed into limbo as I write. The power of the dark side is strong, though, so it takes a bit more time for good magic to achieve full potency.

This time I'll keep things civil in case you find it in your better interests to keep a lid on the salty talk. While you're "reflecting" on your manners, keep in mind that I have a few alternatives in case banning isn't enough. Please don't make me use them.

I can't believe I have to put a grown man in time out. On his own forum at that... Oh the humanity...
                    Last edited by Outrider; 02-13-2010, 12:58 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by outrider
                      ok, pal, i can see that a little talking to wasn't enough. I think you need to spend a little more time with "she who hates submarines"--perhaps the long weekend will be sufficient.

This time i'll keep things nice in case you find it in your better interests to keep a lid on the salty talk. I can't believe i have to put a grown man in time out. While you're "reflecting" on your manners, keep in mind that i have a few alternatives in case banning isn't enough. Please don't make me use them.
                      use the tazer on him!
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
                        My first wife and her sister did, sometimes
                        I said WITCHES - not something that rhymes with it and starts with B! Is that what you meant?

Comment

• Albion
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2008

either could apply :)
                          Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• pjdog
                            Commander
                            • Apr 2009

RONP-UK:
                            I'd like to see your submarine with the top hull on. Also do you have any pictures of it in the water
                            looking for targets. That's a real beauty.
                            Jack

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

I think this is the boat, plus the Alfa mentioned in another thread-

Comment

Working...