X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonP-UK
    Lieutenant
    • Feb 2010

My New diving module

The module that I have made is based around a 100mm dia tube with 2x75mm piston ballast tanks
    controlled by my own pitch controller that will stop the advancing tank until the other has caught up
    giving automatic static trim. The pitch controller also controls rear vanes. The unit is 600mm long and fits into a 45" Alfa without problems. A small waterproof video camera can be attached just behind the bridge
    and the extra weight is compensated automatically by the tanks. I lost interest in modelling for some years
    but building a Typhoon class for a close friend fired up a bit of enthusiasm so here I am again after a gap
    of 15 years. Hope you guys like it.
    RonP
    Attached Files
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Hey Dave, now you and Ron can talk shop about torpedos!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

No ****! ... is that Ron Perrot?!

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

It is Ron Perrot.

Comment

• Albion
          Captain
          • Dec 2008

What hold sthe main end caps on when there is internal pressure in the hull?
          Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• RonP-UK
            Lieutenant
            • Feb 2010

Simple really, there are two half bulkheads bonded to the hull that the ballast tanks sit on. Mine are made from 3/8" pvc and secured with Devcon Plastic Welder ( a two part epoxy for plastics)

Comment

• Albion
              Captain
              • Dec 2008

sorry wasn't clear with my question. When the pistons are pulled back into the inner hull, there will be an increase in pressure, which could potentially blow the end caps off. Its hard to see from the photo, but are their internal tie rods or some other such device to hold it all together as the pressure incrreases?

The pitch controller sounds very ingenious, does it only control the pistons or the
              Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

I think what Ron was saying was that he is using the saddles that the cylinder sits on, as stops to prevent the end caps popping off. Good idea- saves using additional rods which only eat up space and add weight, usually where you don't want it.

Comment

• Albion
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2008

Gotcha. One of the first things i was taught in my engineering course was to try and make something do two jobs, this is a prime example

Comment

Working...