X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

HMAS Orion 1/72 Oberon

Here you can see Orion - I built this in 2008.
    Key to the paint job is time.

1 Grey primer coats -automotive acrylic all over

1 coat red oxide primer - automotive acrylic all over

2 Airbrushed top coats of grime type black I mix exterior household sample paints - being 80% jet black 20% white. This overcoats the top half of the model. (masked up bottom half). This is enamel. Note well if you ever use Enamel and Acrylic in combination on a model you must apply Acrylic first. Enamel bodes very well over Acrylic but Acrylic applied to a previous Enamel coat acts like paint stripper.

With the top half allowed to dry for a full 24 hours - I mask up the top half. The lower hull surface is then attended to. The lower surface has a mix of different enamels - silver / mixed with the grime black mix sprayed at different distances and in patches, but mainly around the scum line. Whilst still wet I drag a dry sponge from the top of the scum line down creating the effects you see above haphazardly along the boat.

After all this is dry for a couple of days I mask up the scum line above and below and the boat above and below and airbrush from varying distances some lime green enamel - just hobby enamel - this creates the occasional blob of green algae you see.

I applied BEC branded self adhesive vinyl decals and whilst these need no overcoat, I then re-coat the whole ship with an enamel based semi gloss clear spray.

For features like paint wear around cleats and hatches I used a dry sponge corner and / or cue tip and dab the coner of hatches etc. Finally to show the wearing of what flow i drag a dry sponge with a very small amount of silver /aluminum hobby enamel down the hull from the casing drain hull to the water scum line. I do something similar across the control surfaces.

Hope you like it.

Last edited by Slats; 02-01-2010, 06:20 AM. Reason: typo
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic
  • Ironhorse
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Feb 2009

Very realistic look

Very good looking sub.Although it is unavoidable that someone comes over you vawing the Federal Standard Color Chart and disqualifying you right away.
    But you know this is the most frequent happening in the modelling World.
    My congratulations.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ironhorse
      Very good looking sub.Although it is unavoidable that someone comes over you vawing the Federal Standard Color Chart and disqualifying you right away.
      My congratulations.
      Ha! I know what you mean. Those nose-pickers who spend so much time in books and plans, but never actually assemble/build a model themselves; the insufferable goons who wander up and down display tables finding fault with other peoples work.

Those types should be worked over with a dull #11 X-Acto knife and have their still beating hearts presented to them!

I'm not much of a rivet counter. I do like a good presentation. Don't worry, I leave the FSN color chip reference book in the shop when I judge.

God ****, John! ... are those bow planes scale?!????

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Who's hull is it?
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Slats
          Vice Admiral
          • Aug 2008

Thank David the plans I had came from a guy here in Task Force 72 - the planes looked too big. I went down to the O boat in Darling Harbour and checked out our museum ship there -the planes seem scale - but I must admit I could not exactly measure them from my vantage point.

The hull was a limited production run from the same Task Force 72 member - Steve Batchlador.
          I understand he does not do this anymore. Its a very basic kit -and IMO not for the beginner. From what I know mine might have been the first and possibly only one completed. Like the Revell Gato you need to join left and right halves - convert it to upper and lower sections install your own indexing lips - all not too hard but an in the dark rookie might struggle. You need to do your own running gear, appendages, rudder etc. You do get the sail in two pieces left and right, and the upper sonar piece, which was used in the 1980's onwards on all RAN Oberons. A nice kit nonetheless but lots of work, which in this case I found fun. I sold this boat some time back to fellow Task Force 72 member. She runs on a Subdriver 2.5" set up.
          John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Albion
            Captain
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Slats
            2After all this is dry for a couple of days I mask up the scum line above and below and the boat above and below and airbrush from varying distances some lime green enamel - just hobby enamel - this creates the occasional blob of green algae you see.
            Looks good. So i can understand better, do you mask off the hull and leave a strip about 5-10mm wide that you spray the lime green onto?

Also assume before the weathering starts the hull is black above water line red below, or is that difference in colour all from the streaking?

Must go and have a look at that Oberon, i will be travelling a bit to Auz this year and unfortunately stay in Darling harbour :), tho last time didnt set aside any me time
            Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Slats
              Vice Admiral
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
              Looks good. So i can understand better, do you mask off the hull and leave a strip about 5-10mm wide that you spray the lime green onto?

Yes

Also assume before the weathering starts the hull is black above water line red below, or is that difference in colour all from the streaking?

Yes before wethering starts red below, black above

Must go and have a look at that Oberon, i will be travelling a bit to Auz this year and unfortunately stay in Darling harbour :), tho last time didnt set aside any me time
              Yes well worth it
              Best
              J
              John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Albion
                Captain
                • Dec 2008

Oh dear oh dear, i have to go to sydney next week :)
                Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Albion
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2008

Winging Pom
                  Turned up at the Oberon this morning at 9-25, it opens at 9-30, seeing as how the ticket booth wassnt open i wandered down to the Endeavour, which is along side. NOT OPEN yells some guy. i look round and there is a guard type jobs worth. Yeah i know, im just looking, NOT OPEN yet, (again), and he waves at an imaginary line i have crossed, despite the fact the counter they check the ticket at is another 40 yards ahead of me. I KNOW IM JUST LOOKING. You cant go down there its not open yet. so i walk back , and its now 9-30, well its open now, nope, another couple of minutes mate. So i stand around in the sun for 15 minutes whilst jobsworth guards the ticket booth. So what time you opening, another 20 minutes, WTF. So now i dont have enough time to visit the exhibit and make my appointment, so i have to call it a day. What a waste.

John - You got any underbelly types who could pay this guy a visit!!!

Comment

• Slats
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Aug 2008

The Australian National Maritime Museum is staffed almost exclusively now by volunteers - all of which are usually retired types. The Govt has pulled about every last dollar out of it and the standard or service to vistors has suffered. That said its worth a look.
                    Shame I'm flat chat- otherwise I'd meet up and buy you a beer. How long are you in Sydney for? Do go back for a look if time permits - also I can recommend in Darling harbour the Jet Simulator.
                    J
                    John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
                      Winging Pom
                      i look round and there is a guard type jobs worth.
                      Jobsworth type ? Oh Yea! I remember what it means - "It's more than my jobs worth to ----------" therefore he who uttereth such things is a Jobs-Worth Type.
                      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Albion
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2008

The lower hull surface is then attended to. The lower surface has a mix of different enamels - silver / mixed with the grime black mix sprayed at different distances and in patches, but mainly around the scum line. Whilst still wet I drag a dry sponge from the top of the scum line down creating the effects you see above haphazardly along the boat.

After all this is dry for a couple of days I mask up the scum line above and below and the boat above and below and airbrush from varying distances some lime green enamel - just hobby enamel - this creates the occasional blob of green algae you see.
                        Great tip John, spent yesterday afternoon, dirtying up my Permit using this method. No way as good as the results here but gives a it a great look. I also mixed in some lime green with the dirty black/silver mix which also enhanced it. Scum line next then upper hull. Never ever really weathered anything before, so having fun, was a bit nervous at first attacking my pristine paint job with a meesy looking mix of paint, but turned out great.

Comment

• Slats
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Aug 2008

Glad you liked it - post some photos of your Permit.
                          Best
                          John
                          John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Albion
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2008

Glad you liked it - post some photos of your Permit.
                            Best
                            John
                            I'm at about 95% completion, so plan to finish then post the final results. Once the Permit and Koryu have a finish coat on them i can start on new projects:)
                            Last edited by Kazzer; 04-28-2011, 06:26 AM.

Comment

• jeanlee411

My congratulations.

Comment

Working...