X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CG Bob
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Sep 2008

Uss hammerhead

USS HAMMERHEAD in 1:96th scale. Scale Shipyard hull, Small World Models WTC, SubTech motor/reduction units.
    Attached Files
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

OK submission, interesting work. Good to see one of Lee's little GATO hulls put to work.

Beef up the narrative and put up some beauty shots.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• CG Bob
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Sep 2008

Here's some more info on the HAMMERHEAD.

I built the model a few years ago, and the trial run was in Indianapolis at a pool run. I've had it to a couple of SubRegattas. I decided to do one of the Manitowoc 28 boats buit in Wisconsin, so it can qualify as a Great Lakes boat at some model contests. I scratchbuilt the conning tower, mostly from styrene; I used carbon fiber rods for the scopes and antenna. I also used carbon fiber rod for the pushrods. The styrene deck planking isn't 100% scale in width or spacing, but does allow water to flow. Power is from a 2 cell 1500 MAh Li-po battery. The stern planes are connected to the APC and controlled by a rotary knob on the radio. The bow planes are controlled by the right stick on the radio.

The brass nameplate was photoetched with a PCB etching kit from Radio Shack, and looks like a cast bronze builders plate. The Dean's plug has a new cover from HDI Products, which makes it easier to grip the plugs. I added a Lexan shield in front of the belt drives to protect the wires. I used Dubro ball links on Dubro wheel collars for the rudder and stern plane controls. I'm still working on the weathering of the model.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by CG Bob; 01-28-2010, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Love the system Dave Manley came up with to get the servo outputs into the wet.

I forgive you the deck plank spacing, good move.

Good, sound engineering from what I can see. Weather that thing!

Yeah, I like the bow plans and rudder on the right stick, throttle and gas ballast sub-system on the left stick, ch-6 (the knob on the upper left of the transmitter) for the stern planes, and ch-5 (the right mounted toggle) for the low pressure blower ballast sub-system. Anything else is just showing off.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...