X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

My Redoutable first lake run

I finally got my Redoutable to the lake where I could open it up. I couldn't be more pleased with how it performs.

Last edited by SubDude; 05-31-2020, 02:54 PM.
  • SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

Thanks Rob. It was great to finally see what it could do. I never throttled it all the way up and didn't need to. It will turn in about 30' circles and the fairwater planes are more than enough to control depth. I have a slight leak in the radio compartment that I need to sort out and she will be complete. The big Nautilus is next.

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

Steve,

Congratulations on your drive, she looks to be a stable runner, nice to see it running the way she does.

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• Sinksalot
        Commander
        • Mar 2020

It looks like its running great. Nice work!

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Well documented run! Very solid running submarine. Congratulations captain!
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• SubDude
            Captain
            • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Good video. I appreciate the running narrative. Informative. Tell me more about that leak!

David
            It looks like the leak is at the seal where the pushrod for the vent arm goes through the bukhead between the radio compartment and ballast tank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200601_123636_copy_1512x2016.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	140117

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

OK, Put some water back in that ballast tank, stand it on its after end, blow into the antenna conduit and observe where the bubbles are coming from.

Where are the bubbles originating? From around the seal body, or around the pushrod?

If you have a leak somewhere in the bead of RTV that mounts and makes watertight the pushrod seal body, dry things and dab on some RTV over the offending spot and draw a slight vacuum through the antenna conduit flexible hose to drive the RTV patch into the offending void.

If the leak is around the pushrod, replace the pushrod seal. You received a spare with your MSD package. If you can't find it, hit me and I'll get a few off to you in a flash.

David
              They were coming from around the pushrod itself. The extra seal that came with my cylinder I used for the fairwater planes. Thank you sir.

Comment

• SubDude
                Captain
                • Dec 2019

Let me know how much. My info. is Steve Hodges, 55 Locust Meadow Ln, Weaverville, NC 28787. Thank you very much!

Comment

• SubDude
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2019

Send a million bucks in un-marked bills.

Seriously, I make these seals like popcorn. I'll get a few off to you tomorrow first thing. Anything else I can slip into the mailer?

David
                  You remind me of my friend Darrell Sprayberry. He can make just about anything. He is currently building a 152" wingspan Stuka Dive Bomber. Made the plugs and molds. Fuselage is layed up in epoxy resin and fiberglass. He is also making a huge OV-10. With his lathe and milling machine he helped me add a fixed radome/hollow main shaft mod on my Apache. He even builds his own helicopter mechanics. The last time I visited him I was able to trade an EDF jet for a Typhoon hull layup from a mold he has. I learned a lot about molding on that trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191123_122814.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	140155

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Have you ever considered covering the PLA in epoxy or fiberglass to reinforce it?
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• SubDude
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2019

Seals underway to your address, Steve. Should be there by the end of the week.

David
                      Huge appreciation sir. Thank you very much!

Comment

• SubDude
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2019

Originally posted by redboat219
                        Have you ever considered covering the PLA in epoxy or fiberglass to reinforce it?
                        Mine hasn't needed it. I am so used to keeping foamy jets out of the sun that this is not a big deal for me if that is what you are referring to.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                          Welcome to my underwater realm!
                          • Aug 2009

Coating a print with epoxy is a good thing, but not necessary if you baby the hull. It also smooths over details such as scribing and holes that are part of the printed surface, so not always desirable. If you're going to do a large print with little or no detail, I'd print and then lay up a 4oz layer of cloth over it, just to make sure you have it for years to come. No worries on the interior of the boat.

Bob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                            Welcome to my underwater realm!
                            • Aug 2009

Oh, and Steve, that is a gorgeous-running boat! Rock steady while surfaced or submerged. You should be very proud!

Comment

• SubDude
                              Captain
                              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman
                              Oh, and Steve, that is a gorgeous-running boat! Rock steady while surfaced or submerged. You should be very proud!
                              Thanks Bob! It did great and has help me to better understand some of the mystery of RC Subs. I look forward to running it again. I figured out where my leak is and will have that fixed soon enough. I also had to make some adjustments to get the gas backup to engage but she should be ready to go again in no time.

Comment

Working...