• QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

MK148 ADCAP GAS TORPEDO: Design, Build, & Test Validation

1:48 SCALE USN MK48 ASW/ASUW Heavyweight Torpedo for
    RC Submarine operation.

MK148 ADCAP GAS TORPEDO: Design, Build, & Test Validation
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • TINFISH
    Lieutenant
    • Apr 2019

Very nice design and execution Ed. Like your approach
    Look forward to seeing these work in person.
    Thanks
    Mike

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
      Captain
      • Apr 2020

Ed,

Watched your recent video on the “NoCap” test you posted on the Subcommittee FB page. Yes the butane sucks. Pressure is too low for larger torpedoes. Propel works much better. These torpedoes I designed some months back are also 1/48 scale and here’s a video launching one with a short fill through the forward fill valve. They can also be filled at battery in the tube but I ditched that in later designs as I found it was easier filling them outside the boat, then loading them in the the tubes afterwards.

First test launching the gas torpedo design. The outlet nozzle bore is .035” diameter. Normally it would be much smaller.

Nose weight isn’t an issue if you use ronson butane fill valves in place of shrader valves. I also use the central gas pick up tube as a stay rod for the forward and aft propel tank bulkheads to keep them from blowing out the ends of the central aluminum tank body. The nose at aft sections of the gas torpedo are the same resin prints from the work I did with the G7e counter rotating prop electric torpedoes.

Nick

Comment

Working...