X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Excel at model submarine design?

Anyone using Excel for working out their submarine math? I don't use excel, but open office, a freeware package that is very similar to Microsoft office (downloadable online). The excel equivalent part of the package is called calc, and it looks and works almost identically to the Microsoft package, only you don't have to line Mr Gates pocket. The attached image shows a few formulas for different parts of model sub design which I punched in from Norberts book, Model Submarine technology. Takes away the grind, especially if you want to quickly try different materials, volumes etc. It's very much a case of rubbish in rubbish out, so you need to be careful you are punching in the right numbers, but considerably less room for error than using a calculator I think.

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

The more 'tools' we employ, the farther away we get from the Craft.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

I don't regard design as a craft, it's applied science, really the true definition of engineering.

The computer is just a number cruncher. The craft begins once we step away from the desk and start whittling the materials.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Andy, would you do more videos, please? May I get a copy of the spread sheet?
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

And when everyone has a 3D printer on their desk?

Remember what happened to the Krell!

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Don't think I can attach excel files here. It is available for download on the Dive-in Facebook page. I'll probably update it from time to time as I add on extra bits and bobs. Bear in mind that the units used are all metric. It's pretty easy to convert from imperial units though. Inches can be converted to millimeters by multiplying by 25.4 e.g. 1" x 25.4= 25.4mm. For pressure 1 bar is equal to 14.7 psi.

More videos? About what. I tackled the main thing that builders seem to get their knickers in a twist over, o-rings and sealing a pipe reliably.

Internal layout is somewhat down to personal preference, as indeed are ballast systems. The latter's pros and cons are well covered in Norbert's book. Ballast systems haven't really altered over the years, newer products have come along which permit some systems to be modified or miniaturized, but the principles remain the same, and unless we enter a parallel universe, always will.

The principles of buoyancy, density and how they relate to the centre of gravity and centre of buoyancy, plus other factors influencing submarine handling like metacentric height and centre of pressure are really difficult subjects to condense into a short film. In addition they are very well explained already by books dealing with mechanical science and boning up on Archimedes principle. Also, once more Norbert's book covers much of the above in a potted form.

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
              And when everyone has a 3D printer on their desk?

Remember what happened to the Krell!

M
              O yes, I've seen that film- id, id, id!

This has nothing to do with 3D printing, it's just a big calculator.

You're typing these replies to me via what exactly?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Touche, Sir!

I hate it when you're right, Andy (which is most of the time).

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

So I've added some more bits in, and tidied it up a bit.

Comment

Working...