Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Domino Junction Block

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Domino Junction Block

    A while back I was asked about how I handled connections in the wet. I use gold plated 2mm banana pins...I use two tiny blocks of Azek and drill 6 #40 holes in their face then I take twelve female pins and high temp silver solder them together back to back. I soft solder together 3 sets of these double pins with wire to provide a common connection between 3 pairs of pins and press them into the azek using a sliver cut piece of Azek as a 1/8" spacer . Then the block is potted with epoxy and sanded smooth. the male pins are soldered to their wires and coated with epoxy and covered with heat shrink tube -taking care not to bind up the swivel tips on the male pins. This block makes an easy disconnect and reconnect for 6 wet circuits (in my case 3 positive and 3 negative) when doing maintenance-BG

    Click image for larger version  Name:	PC270003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.2 KB ID:	168062Click image for larger version  Name:	PC270008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.3 KB ID:	168063Click image for larger version  Name:	PC270005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.1 KB ID:	168064
    Bonus info...I color code the block and other connections in the sub by painting 500MPH aluminum tape (or aluminum air duct tape) with paint and punch the circles out with a hole punch-then peel and stick...




    Last edited by Bob Gato; 12-27-2022, 05:32 PM.

  • #2
    Hi Bob, do you have any photo's of the block in application in the subs? (trying to envision it's use) thanks.

    Comment


    • #3
      Sure... I used two of these blocks to run main power from my battery WTC back to my ESC in the wet and for main power to the input leads to my electronics WTC also I connect to main power on for my nav lights to indicate the ship's Master is in the on position...Sit tight for a few days the holiday crunch has kept me out of the boat yard in the basement... I'll get you some pictures soon..
      Last edited by Bob Gato; 12-27-2022, 06:32 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Bob Gato View Post
        A while back I was asked about how I handled connections in the wet. I use gold plated 2mm banana pins...I use two tiny blocks of Azek and drill 6 #40 holes in their face then I take twelve female pins and high temp silver solder them together back to back. I soft solder together 3 sets of these double pins with wire to provide a common connection between 3 pairs of pins and press them into the azek using a sliver cut piece of Azek as a 1/8" spacer . Then the block is potted with epoxy and sanded smooth. the male pins are soldered to their wires and coated with epoxy and covered with heat shrink tube -taking care not to bind up the swivel tips on the male pins. This block makes an easy disconnect and reconnect for 6 wet circuits (in my case 3 positive and 3 negative) when doing maintenance-BG

        Click image for larger version Name:	PC270003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.2 KB ID:	168062Click image for larger version Name:	PC270008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.3 KB ID:	168063Click image for larger version Name:	PC270005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.1 KB ID:	168064
        Bonus info...I color code the block and other connections in the sub by painting 500MPH aluminum tape (or aluminum air duct tape) with paint and punch the circles out with a hole punch-then peel and stick...



        Nice design and fabrication work Bob! Is the Azek block similar to resin board?

        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e=UTF8&th= 1

        Rob
        "Firemen can stand the heat."

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm not sure Rob... That resin block seems it might be pretty heavy if I had to guess I'd say that was similar to micarta...Azek is PVC trim board that comes in dimensional sizes for exterior trim on houses and buildings... It is slightly positively buoyant, totally waterproof , it is easily machined and takes paint well and can be glued by almost any adhesive... It can be purchased in any of the big box home improvement stores.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Marylandradiosailor View Post
            Hi Bob, do you have any photo's of the block in application in the subs? (trying to envision it's use) thanks.
            I promised a picture:
            your sub is undoubtedly a whole different animal so your application might require some imagination...

            Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030018.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	168286

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bob Gato View Post

              I promised a picture:
              your sub is undoubtedly a whole different animal so your application might require some imagination...

              Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030018.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	168286
              Thx for the picture. (somehow I missed it to now)..

              Comment

              Working...
              X