• Show
Clear All
  • Snipah
    Lieutenant
    • Jul 2012

Brushless motors

*** Brushless Motors ***

Are these recomended at all?
    Why arent they in use in subs as they are now appearing in surface craft in greater numbers?

***Revell Gato***

I am also dying to ask why that long dive planes actuating rod isnt just fitted against the front WT compartment bulkhead? shortening / simplfying the rod action?

Cheers

Brett
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Unless you want your sub skimming along at unscale speed throwing a rooster tail brushed motors are sufficient. Those brushless motor have way too much power.

You could put the bow plane servo on the forward bulkhead but then you have to run extension wires from the servo to your rx in the rear compartment.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

One of the main things that has prevented the adoption of brushless motors in subs, is the lack of small motors wound for low kv.

Typically most subs need a prop speed of 2-5000RPM. Most brushless motors tend to have KV's of 1000KV or more, which is too much for most boats. Robbe recently released some low KV motors (300 and 500kv), and these are now being supplied with one or two of the Engel kits e.g. their Type VII. These can spin large props direct drive (no gearbox required)

Qute a few German modellers have adopted them too. One big advantage of brushless is no commutator arcing, so that's one potential source of interference removed. One disadvantage if operation is sensorless is inferior start-up and low speed running when compared to a good quality brushed motor. If the motor is sensored with appropriate controller then a brushless motor will behave exactly the same as a brushed counterpart.

Comment

• Snipah
        Lieutenant
        • Jul 2012

Redboat, That thought had crossed my mind... Rooster Tail.. Quite apt for an Akula driver :D
        Servo extn wires seem a lot easier to do then a reversed fandangled pushmepullyou arrangement, (If you dont know Dr Doolittle than that joke aint gonna fly far)

Mr Culture, thats what I was thinking, without all the whitemans magic reasoning I might add, other than new motors are appearing everyday.
        Those slowarsed parkflyers spring to mind, where the prop turns every 5 mins or so it seems.

If the germans are doing it, then its got to be eh good dont it? (noone mention 1939 ok)

Comment

Working...