X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BreenMachine
    Ensign
    • Sep 2021

Moebius 1/72 Skipjack scratch detail and weathering questions for 1990

I've got a 1/72 Moebius Skipjack that I've largely built-up, this one is sadly an inert model, as I don't have the money or time to handle a WTC and transmitter currently, one day I will 3d print a skipjack or Sturgeon and make a beautiful full running, static diving boat. Anyway, I've got this lovely kit, and I want to detail her to represent one of the Skip's at the tail end of their career but still operational, 1980s/1990, likely USS Shark as she lasted the longest by a few months and 591 is a slick hull number. I know the Skipjacks received a type of towed array later in life, along with a few extra protrusions and blisters, also I imagine they may have had their screws changed from the 5-blade to 7s, but I'm not sure. So I was hoping you lovely folks could help me determine what Shark was equipped with in the late 80s. In addition, I'm curious how intense the weathering should be on a boat that is underway/mid patrol in the Mediterranean, I know there should be a scumline of sorts, but since she's submerged and underway I'm unsure how much growth would have attached itself, and how streaked her upper works would be?

I'm a decently experienced modeler, though its almost all in 1/72 Aircraft, but I'm fairly handy with my airbrush and know normal weathering techniques like mottle-coats, pastels, washes, etc.

I'm eager to see what you folks have to say!
Working...