X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave350
    Ensign
    • Feb 2012

Proper saw for a z-cut

Which saw is best for performing a z-cut on a fiberglass hull?

Thanks!
  • wlambing
    Commander
    • Nov 2020

I always have used a 3/4" deep X-acto razor saw. Super thin kerf. I use it on plastic kits, fiberglass, wood, and sometimes thin wall brass tube. I have mine plugged into the standard sized red X-acto handle.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Dave350
      Which saw is best for performing a z-cut on a fiberglass hull?

Thanks!
      Carbide cut-off wheel (thin, unreinforced), or diamond wheel. Minimal kerf.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4012.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	147116Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4010.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	147117
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Dave350
        Ensign
        • Feb 2012

That's great info thank you for your help guys...…..I was pondering using a saw I have at home, it is a Japanese flush cut saw its blade is .6mm or 0.024" thick and the teeth have a 0.05" spacing on them. Has anyone used one of these for the task?

Thanks again in advance!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Dave350
          That's great info thank you for your help guys...…..I was pondering using a saw I have at home, it is a Japanese flush cut saw its blade is .6mm or 0.024" thick and the teeth have a 0.05" spacing on them. Has anyone used one of these for the task?

Thanks again in advance!
          GRP is glass. It will tear that saw up in five strokes.
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Dave350
            Ensign
            • Feb 2012

Excellent point.....Thank you

Comment

• Bob Gato
              Captain
              • Feb 2019

Click image for larger version  Name:	51d2M9E39tL._AC_UL320_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	11.8 KB ID:	147131 This is the saw-I use it on all my fiberglass boats-never a z-cut though...but jet pump intakes...deck hatch cutouts and gunnel shear trimming. I just plunge cut with the corner of the blade and once the corner is thru then the blade will self guide itself along the pencil mark with very little guidance. If you slip -it wont cut skin or soft items. It can be varied to oscillate at 10000-21000 OPS. Cuts wood, aluminum, all plastics, copper, brass, steel -very thin kerf and very little dust.(except when cutting drywall LOL) Note: the blade doesn't reciprocate -it oscillates .
              Last edited by Bob Gato; 01-26-2021, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• type7
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Apr 2009

Most hobby shops carry Zona saws. They have a range of tooth sizes and are thinner and more flexible than exacto saw blades. You cut by pulling theblade so it is easier to get a straight line. Works well for doing the short cuts in fiberglass hulls and cutting the foam for ballast. I have quit making the cut at the front of the boat, just leave it straight at the water line, but do the back cut the same.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Bob Gato

Click image for larger version Name:	51d2M9E39tL._AC_UL320_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	11.8 KB ID:	147131 This is the saw-I use it on all my fiberglass boats-never a z-cut though...but jet pump intakes...deck hatch cutouts and gunnel shear trimming. I just plunge cut with the corner of the blade and once the corner is thru then the blade will self guide itself along the pencil mark with very little guidance. If you slip -it wont cut skin or soft items. It can be varied to oscillate at 10000-21000 OPS. Cuts wood, aluminum, all plastics, copper, brass, steel -very thin kerf and very little dust.(except when cutting drywall LOL) Note: the blade doesn't reciprocate -it oscillates .
                  Note taken.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Dave350
                    Ensign
                    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by type7
                    Most hobby shops carry Zona saws. They have a range of tooth sizes and are thinner and more flexible than exacto saw blades. You cut by pulling theblade so it is easier to get a straight line. Works well for doing the short cuts in fiberglass hulls and cutting the foam for ballast. I have quit making the cut at the front of the boat, just leave it straight at the water line, but do the back cut the same.

I actually ordered a zona saw yesterday! Thank you sir

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Sep 2015

They found Dave's (HWSNBN) first saw.....

Name:	bear4.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	147149
                      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
                        They found Dave's (HWSNBN) first saw.....

Name:	bear4.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	147149
                        There's a very special place in Hell for smart-asses... Ed!
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...