What glue to bond plexiglass to fiberglass hull?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • substandard
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jun 2020

What glue to bond plexiglass to fiberglass hull?

What glue can I use to bond plexiglass to fiberglass?
  • Davidh
    Captain
    • Nov 2010

I would have thought that Perspex, Acrylic or plexiglass won’t stick to fiberglass. Eventually the two would separate. I use Perspex as a mounding surface.
    you would probably need to screw or bolt the two together.

David H

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Strongest would be a modified acrylic glue e.g Devcon plastic welder, stabilit express, super crylic etc. A bond with that is stronger than the substrates.

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

Whatever glue you decide upon my first question would be is the fiberglass hull epoxy glass or polyester glass? If it is epoxy glass by all means make sure you wash it with soap and water to remove the amine blush, or waxy film that rises to the surface of an epoxy finish which will prevent any glue from sticking... A polyester fiberglass how will also probably have parting agent still on the surface from when It was in the mold... Also wash the surface hot soapy water and a solvent ... And you must sand both surfaces of contact to provide a tooth for the glue to grip. But make sure you clean the surface before you sand or you will just be sanding the parting agent or amine wax into the items you're looking to bond.-BG

Comment

Working...