Salt Water Communications

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redboat219
    replied
    How about lasers? Maybe design a control system similar to those infrared controllers for toy RC helicopters. As IR is blocked by water we need swap out the IR diode with a laser (green).

Leave a comment:

• coryhenry
    replied
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and articles. Unfortunately the suggestions don't solve the root problem of being able to communicate underwater in salt water. Any other ideas?

Leave a comment:

• QuarterMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by coryhenry
    I live in San Diego and fortunately or unfortunately (depending on how you see it) I am surrounded by salt water. This includes our local RC pond. I just received the Kilo kit from Bob Martin (thank you very much Bob) and wanted to explore ways to communicate in salt water. I came upon this research paper that describes how they developed an acoustic system for RC vehicles that is simple and intuitive using acoustics. IT looks like the form factor could be implemented in RC Submarines and I wanted to get the opinions from the experts on here. In the meantime I plan to run the antenna up through the a snorkel so I can run at periscope depth in the local pond. I have about six months left in my Middle East deployment so have time to work out the problem set :)

Here is the link to the paper

Thoughts?
    Cory
    2.4GHz for the RC Submariner….the next step.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Originally posted by coryhenry
    I live in San Diego and fortunately or unfortunately (depending on how you see it) I am surrounded by salt water. This includes our local RC pond. I just received the Kilo kit from Bob Martin (thank you very much Bob) and wanted to explore ways to communicate in salt water. I came upon this research paper that describes how they developed an acoustic system for RC vehicles that is simple and intuitive using acoustics. IT looks like the form factor could be implemented in RC Submarines and I wanted to get the opinions from the experts on here. In the meantime I plan to run the antenna up through the a snorkel so I can run at periscope depth in the local pond. I have about six months left in my Middle East deployment so have time to work out the problem set :)

Thoughts?
    Cory
    Cory,
    ‘I would like to welcome you to join us when we gather at Yorba Linda regional park. Mike Dory, a early trail blazer in our hobby, lives in your area and drives up with his Type 7. He used to run in the brackish ponds around SanDiego, but you needed to keep a antenna above the surface, much like those that use 2.4 GHz today. If you are interested, pm me with your email and I will forward it to the crew at SuRon LA.
    peace,
    tom

Leave a comment:

• a1965l
    replied
    That's an interesting solution. What I didn't get from the paper is how exactly they're controlling the submarine... I.E., does the receiver output standard pulses for servo control, or did they do something else? There are standard library functions for Raspberry PI that allow direct control of servos using a PI board, and that board could receive commands from this system. The other thing that would need to be solved, if this evern turned into a hobby system, is how to run multiple systems without interferenece...

Leave a comment:

• coryhenry
    started a topic Salt Water Communications

Salt Water Communications

Thoughts?
    Cory
Working...