X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

How modular is the MSD?

I've looked at the pictures and read the instructions and I still don't fully understand what is meant by 'modular'. Modular, to me, means I can physically separate the various sections (if I choose to) and the only connection between them is control or power wiring, I don't see that here. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm working, early stages, on a larger sub and I have Otter boxes for the motor/drive compartment and the for the compartment up front housing the radio and some of the batteries. What I need is a separate ballast compartment, probably of the SAS type (but that's not fixed yet). Wiring carrying control signals and current for the electronics would be the only connections between the compartments.

Is this possible with the MSD system? Can I purchase just a ballast section?

Is my whole idea cuckoo?

Captain Considering
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    No.

Good luck with the Otter boxes.

David
    You say that because you have experience with Otter boxes and they leak? Can't drill holes in them? What?
    You have my attention - please explain.

Captain Curious

Comment

• roedj
      Captain
      • Sep 2008

DM wrote: You're the customer. And the customer is always right. Right?

In my many travels I have. on occasion, worked retail. Don't let anyone ever tell you that there is no such thing as a dumb question.

Yes, the customer is always right except when they are really wrong and their 'wrongness' causes them to lose several hundred dollars worth of electronics and other R/C gear. to the unforgiving pond/lake/whatever.

Bottom line - I don't mind being told I'm wrong especially if I am and I really value your professional opinion on matters R/C submarine.

I have followed Bob's posts on Otter boxes. It's an idea I considered about 5 years ago but let it go because I couldn't figure out a reliable way to pass cables through the box walls. From their posts I now have some new ideas.

BTW, I emailed you my mailing address as I thought you were going to try and ship me some snorkel float valves (horiz & vert) plus a safety float valve,. If that email got lost I can send it again if you wish.

Dan

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

[QUOTE=He Who Shall Not Be Named;n139936] My first r/c submarine featured water tight containers (three of e'm if I remember correctly)

/QUOTE]

Bet you drove around Virginia in a horse drawn carriage then.

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• roedj
          Captain
          • Sep 2008

I am/was unfamiliar with the term 'flexible tube conduit' so I googled it and came up with this on Amazon. Is this what you mean?

Captain Conduit

Comment

• roedj
            Captain
            • Sep 2008

Thanks.

As a retired chemist I am more than familiar with Tygon tubing.

Captain Chemical

Comment

• a1965l
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Apr 2020

I remember stumbling across that guy's build thread.. What a project.
              "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                Welcome to my underwater realm!
                • Aug 2009

Just as a clarification to the original post:
                My MODULAR definition - "designed with standardized units that can be fit together in a variety of ways."

The new MSD's take a weakness of the original design and improve upon it immensely. In the original iteration, the SubDriver design was established and locked in during production. Once built, no modification was easily achieved. This necessitated the need to stock dozens of different configurations of units, each designed specifically for each unique model submarine. Furthermore, due to the use of a single piece of polycarbonate tubing, repair, upgrade or maintenance of components nested deep within, such as ballast servos, required the skill of a surgeon and, in some cases, special tools.

The new design means that standard motor compartments, ballast compartment, and battery compartments can be 'mix and matched' to create the ideal unit for each model subject. MODULAR. Even further, each section can be adjusted in terms of length to fit the specific components employed.

No, you can't connect/disconnect the sections, pulling them out individually and connecting them like some sort of model train set. For that, you need to look at the methodology of the MSS (modular sub system) that I outlined in my video and written blogs.

Bob

Comment

• roedj
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2008

Bob,

Thanks for the clarification.

Dan

Comment

Working...