Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

How modular is the MSD?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How modular is the MSD?

    I've looked at the pictures and read the instructions and I still don't fully understand what is meant by 'modular'. Modular, to me, means I can physically separate the various sections (if I choose to) and the only connection between them is control or power wiring, I don't see that here. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm working, early stages, on a larger sub and I have Otter boxes for the motor/drive compartment and the for the compartment up front housing the radio and some of the batteries. What I need is a separate ballast compartment, probably of the SAS type (but that's not fixed yet). Wiring carrying control signals and current for the electronics would be the only connections between the compartments.

    Is this possible with the MSD system? Can I purchase just a ballast section?

    Is my whole idea cuckoo?

    Captain Considering
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

  • #2
    No.

    Good luck with the Otter boxes.

    David
    "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named View Post
      No.

      Good luck with the Otter boxes.

      David
      You say that because you have experience with Otter boxes and they leak? Can't drill holes in them? What?
      You have my attention - please explain.

      Captain Curious

      Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by roedj View Post

        You say that because you have experience with Otter boxes and they leak? Can't drill holes in them? What?
        You have my attention - please explain.

        Captain Curious
        No, I have not gone the box routine in a while. I've never employed the Otter box. I have zero practical experience with converting Otto boxes as pressure-waterproof containments for use with r/c submarines. So, please, feel free to discount my observations.

        However, know this: I invented the acronym, WTC in the late 80's. It originally stood for, Water Tight Container. My first r/c submarine featured water tight containers (three of e'm if I remember correctly)

        Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0019.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	139937Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0028.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	139938Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0031.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	139939Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0037.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	139940Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0040.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	139941

        You've been exposed MASSIVELY to my many posts about the development and use of the SD's, and now the MSD's. Bob and Ed have done the same with the Otter box option.

        I will not call strikes and balls for you or anyone else who has been exposed to the knowledge (and options) presented here.

        You're the customer. And the customer is always right. Right?

        March on.

        David
        "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

        Comment


        • #5
          DM wrote: You're the customer. And the customer is always right. Right?

          In my many travels I have. on occasion, worked retail. Don't let anyone ever tell you that there is no such thing as a dumb question.

          Yes, the customer is always right except when they are really wrong and their 'wrongness' causes them to lose several hundred dollars worth of electronics and other R/C gear. to the unforgiving pond/lake/whatever.

          Bottom line - I don't mind being told I'm wrong especially if I am and I really value your professional opinion on matters R/C submarine.

          I have followed Bob's posts on Otter boxes. It's an idea I considered about 5 years ago but let it go because I couldn't figure out a reliable way to pass cables through the box walls. From their posts I now have some new ideas.

          BTW, I emailed you my mailing address as I thought you were going to try and ship me some snorkel float valves (horiz & vert) plus a safety float valve,. If that email got lost I can send it again if you wish.

          Dan

          Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

          Comment


          • #6
            [QUOTE=He Who Shall Not Be Named;n139936] My first r/c submarine featured water tight containers (three of e'm if I remember correctly)

            /QUOTE]

            Bet you drove around Virginia in a horse drawn carriage then.

            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by roedj View Post
              DM wrote: You're the customer. And the customer is always right. Right?

              In my many travels I have. on occasion, worked retail. Don't let anyone ever tell you that there is no such thing as a dumb question.

              Yes, the customer is always right except when they are really wrong and their 'wrongness' causes them to lose several hundred dollars worth of electronics and other R/C gear. to the unforgiving pond/lake/whatever.

              Bottom line - I don't mind being told I'm wrong especially if I am and I really value your professional opinion on matters R/C submarine.

              I have followed Bob's posts on Otter boxes. It's an idea I considered about 5 years ago but let it go because I couldn't figure out a reliable way to pass cables through the box walls. From their posts I now have some new ideas.

              BTW, I emailed you my mailing address as I thought you were going to try and ship me some snorkel float valves (horiz & vert) plus a safety float valve,. If that email got lost I can send it again if you wish.

              Dan
              Maybe I sent those float valves to the wrong guy. Yeah, hit me with your mailing address again, Dan.

              You took my smart-ass, flip with good humor. Tough guy!

              Run 3/8" i.d. flexible tube conduit between the boxes to route your wires. An easy alternative to providing a watertight packing for each wire.

              David
              "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

              Comment


              • #8
                I am/was unfamiliar with the term 'flexible tube conduit' so I googled it and came up with this on Amazon. Is this what you mean?

                https://www.amazon.com/HydroMaxx-Fle...0704189&sr=8-4

                Captain Conduit
                Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by roedj View Post
                  I am/was unfamiliar with the term 'flexible tube conduit' so I googled it and came up with this on Amazon. Is this what you mean?

                  https://www.amazon.com/HydroMaxx-Fle...0704189&sr=8-4

                  Captain Conduit
                  Try this: https://www.mcmaster.com/flexible-cl...e/color~clear/
                  "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks.

                    As a retired chemist I am more than familiar with Tygon tubing.

                    Captain Chemical
                    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by roedj View Post
                      Thanks.

                      As a retired chemist I am more than familiar with Tygon tubing.

                      Captain Chemical
                      You simply drill a hole in the side of the Otter box, insert a 2" length of 3/8" o.d. K&S brass tube and epoxy it in place. The flexible hose/conduit sleeves over the tube on the wet side and is secured with a hose-clamp or some such. Now you have one conduit between boxes that can carry all electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and what-not lines you need between Otter boxes.

                      Hint: don't use pneumatics in an Otter box, or any tight confines.

                      This trick was taught me by Bill Hodgkin's who used this type conduit in a monster TYPHOON he operated. Bill has long since assumed room temperature, but I remember him as a cheerful, smart, out-of-the-box thinker. He passed on a lot of great ideas -- most of which are in use today.

                      David
                      Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 05-30-2020, 07:05 AM.
                      "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I remember stumbling across that guy's build thread.. What a project.
                        "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Just as a clarification to the original post:
                          My MODULAR definition - "designed with standardized units that can be fit together in a variety of ways."

                          The new MSD's take a weakness of the original design and improve upon it immensely. In the original iteration, the SubDriver design was established and locked in during production. Once built, no modification was easily achieved. This necessitated the need to stock dozens of different configurations of units, each designed specifically for each unique model submarine. Furthermore, due to the use of a single piece of polycarbonate tubing, repair, upgrade or maintenance of components nested deep within, such as ballast servos, required the skill of a surgeon and, in some cases, special tools.

                          The new design means that standard motor compartments, ballast compartment, and battery compartments can be 'mix and matched' to create the ideal unit for each model subject. MODULAR. Even further, each section can be adjusted in terms of length to fit the specific components employed.

                          No, you can't connect/disconnect the sections, pulling them out individually and connecting them like some sort of model train set. For that, you need to look at the methodology of the MSS (modular sub system) that I outlined in my video and written blogs.

                          Bob

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Bob,

                            Thanks for the clarification.

                            Dan
                            Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X