X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • a1965l
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Apr 2020

Holding on the prop....

I have a very fancy skewback prop for my 688. The backside of the hub is concave up to the bore. It's threaded, BTW. I would assume the normal way to hold the prop on would be to use a jam nut behind it and lock it that way. I'm guessing that's the reason for the concave shape, it would hide the nut in the hub. I'm wondering if having the nut up against a curved suface would allow it to lock properly. To that end, what other methods could I use to secure the prop to the shaft? I don't think, at least without having some more sophisticated tools than I do, to drill a setscrew hole into the sloped side of the hub and secure it that way. I'm also considering just using some thread locker and securing the prop to the shaft that way, no idea how well thread locker would survive underwater for extended periods of time. I could try and use some thin CA and hold it as well, but... experience and thoughts welcome..
    "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by a1965l
    I have a very fancy skewback prop for my 688. The backside of the hub is concave up to the bore. It's threaded, BTW. I would assume the normal way to hold the prop on would be to use a jam nut behind it and lock it that way. I'm guessing that's the reason for the concave shape, it would hide the nut in the hub. I'm wondering if having the nut up against a curved suface would allow it to lock properly. To that end, what other methods could I use to secure the prop to the shaft? I don't think, at least without having some more sophisticated tools than I do, to drill a setscrew hole into the sloped side of the hub and secure it that way. I'm also considering just using some thread locker and securing the prop to the shaft that way, no idea how well thread locker would survive underwater for extended periods of time. I could try and use some thin CA and hold it as well, but... experience and thoughts welcome..
    CA is your friend. I assume it's a cast brass propeller? If so, breaking the bond with heat will permit screw change at a later date.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...