Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by Kim Sleep
    Ok, so I still ned guidance in regard to the following items in the attached picture. From Left to right I now know that the first ones are Hatches, Second Hatch Covers,
    and the rest I dont know
    Which picture are you referencing, Kim?

David

Leave a comment:

• Kim Sleep
    replied
    Ok, so I still ned guidance in regard to the following items in the attached picture. From Left to right I now know that the first ones are Hatches, Second Hatch Covers,
    and the rest I dont know
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

replied
    I was able to cobble together the hatches, but thank you.
    Is the hatch at the front of the boat recessed, while the one at the back surface mount??
    As launched, phase-1, both deck hatches stood proud of the deck. During the phase-2 conversion the forward hatch was lowered into a well atop the forward escape-trunk and a fairing plate installed over the hatch to fair the well with the deck. There were plans to recess the after deck hatch during the phase-6 conversion period, but that never happened.

So, post phase-2 yard period represent the forward deck hatch recessed, the after deck hatch standing proud.

David

Leave a comment:

• Kim Sleep
    replied
    I was able to cobble together the hatches, but thank you.
    Is the hatch at the front of the boat recessed, while the one at the back surface mount??

Leave a comment:

• Kim Sleep
    replied
    Beautiful hatch detail

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by HardRock
    Wow. I don't remember seeing that video - but I might have been off my chops on meds, so who knows. She look great in the water in any case. I know that the dorsal rudder is fitted to a separate angle keeper; wondering if the rate of operation is quick enough to keep the boat vertical all the time?
    I have a practical dorsal rudder on both the big and your little ALBACORE models and the response to any roll is quickly and powerfully countered. No matter how hard over I put the rudder on the fast running submerged boat I see little if any foil, snap, or torque roll. It's amazing how effective that dorsal rudder is! But, it's very 'draggy'!

One of the 'recover from Depth Excursion' protocols was to not only to ring up all-back-mother****er, fishtail the rudder, full rise on the bow planes, and fishtail the dorsal rudder. (At one point they even employed a B-47 landing parachute!)

Today I took a break from production work and did a bit more detail on our 1/96 ALBACORE. I've gone nutso on the hatch detailing. Here are some shots of that work:

And here's some underwater video of the 1/60 ALBACORE, demonstrating how well the active dorsal rudder works to keep this boat vertical, no mater the speed or rudder angle:

David

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Wow. I don't remember seeing that video - but I might have been off my chops on meds, so who knows. She look great in the water in any case. I know that the dorsal rudder is fitted to a separate angle keeper; wondering if the rate of operation is quick enough to keep the boat vertical all the time?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by HardRock
    That boat looks magnificent. I can't wait to see it painted and rocketing around the pond.
    Soon, Scott. Our little baby is almost done. I'm detailing it now, getting it ready for paint and weathering. It's already been tested in the water and its a very maneuverable screamer!

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    That boat looks magnificent. I can't wait to see it painted and rocketing around the pond.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I have a 2 foot Albacore, it seems to need some sort of hatch at the fore and aft , anyone have 2 of these??
    Asa well, anyone have any of the many units that are coming out of mast (God, I dont know what they are called, other than the Periscope)
    two-foot? I only know of a 1/96 and 1/60 scale ABACLORE kit.

David

Leave a comment:

• Kim Sleep
    started a topic 2 Foot Albacore

2 Foot Albacore

I have a 2 foot Albacore, it seems to need some sort of hatch at the fore and aft , anyone have 2 of these??
    Asa well, anyone have any of the many units that are coming out of mast (God, I dont know what they are called, other than the Periscope)
    Last edited by Kim Sleep; 02-14-2020, 11:35 AM.
Working...