X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • severstal81
    Ensign
    • Oct 2010

Heat Buildup

I've been into RC subs for a few years but have just recently gotten around to building my first sub and my friend (an RC plane guy) had a great question the other day. Is there any need to deal with heat buildup in an rc submarine? I've researched rc subs for a long time but I'd never heard any mention of heat problems.
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

In my experience - provided you don't have any binding of shafts / push rods etc, heat really is not a big problem.
    Things that can get hot are linear type voltage regulators / BECs, but these do not cause a problem for the surrounding gear.
    Expect you motor(s) to get warm - if you do the right thing you'll (no binding) and are using a gear box, don't expect the motor to hot up like an RC car or plane.

If you're building your first sub, avoid building your own WTC, buy a Sub-driver. Its cost effective, you'll learn heaps, you'll have backup by the manufacturer, and your time spent behind the transmitter having fun will be maximised.

Good luck
    John
    Last edited by Kazzer; 11-08-2010, 07:14 AM. Reason: clarrity
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Go over Aquasubs' thread. He has some motor cooling ideas you could use.
      http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...ws-To-The-Yard!!
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• severstal81
        Ensign
        • Oct 2010

I have a Dumas Bluefish and it has the shafts directly connected to the motors. The motors are only 4.8V but do you think I should mod it slightly and add a gear box?

Thanks!
        Morgan

Comment

• Slats
          Vice Admiral
          • Aug 2008

Try it first and see how it goes.

If you buy a subdriver later on the motor comes in most cases with a gearbox already installed.

Unlike model boats, subs don't get driven everywhere at flank bell - you'll probably be fine with the stock approach from Dumas being ok as a first up boat. If you do get some heat build up that is of concern you could always add a small heat sink to the motor casing.

I take it's a dynamic diver (no ballast tank)? Nothing wrong with these as a good starter.

Be sure to post your assembly here so we can all take a look. I am sure you will be fine.

Best
          John
          Last edited by Slats; 11-08-2010, 02:32 AM.
          John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
          Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Albion
            Captain
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by severstal81
            I have a Dumas Bluefish and it has the shafts directly connected to the motors. The motors are only 4.8V but do you think I should mod it slightly and add a gear box?

Thanks!
            Morgan
            Are you able to drive the props in water and measure amps? Ask yourself are the amps high for the size and type of motors , and do the motors sound like they are straining. If yes then maybe gearbox would work, or try replacing them with a lower reving motor. I recenlty rebuilt one of my boats and tried a differnet motor. i thought it was same speed, but was much faster, so it was pulling high amps and could be heard straining under the load.
            Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
              Are you able to drive the props in water and measure amps?
              His Impertinence has explained to me that the ultimate test for a motor is to rig it up with a multimeter and battery, get it running at full speed, and clamp pliers etc. onto the shaft to actually stall the motor. Then read the current draw on the stalled motor. This way, you can be assured that the ESC is rated adequately.
              Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Albion
                Captain
                • Dec 2008

I knew I read it somewhere, yes I did that too. I figured on the Permit that with 7.5Amps on load and the motor making a strained noise that the stall was going to be too high, it was already connected to a 10amp ESC :(
                I changed to lower speed 540 and it now pulls 2 Amps at full load, 4 amps stalled. Simple!
                Last edited by Kazzer; 11-08-2010, 12:56 PM.
                Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

Working...