Type 1 Kaiten (Heaven Shaker)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CC Clarke
    replied
    Thanks for the kind words. That was a fun little job and I learned a lot. The quality of the workmanship displayed throughout the Type 1 exemplifies just how tough the situation was for the IJN at that time. Better was the enemy of "good enough".

Keyport/NUWES always exhibited a country club atmosphere compared to the surrounding naval bases, which are mostly ship-repair related. Very laid back, with a lot of "thinkers" exhibiting plenty of motion but very little movement. I attended a lot of my night college classes there when I worked at nearby Bangor.

The torpedo recovery group worked like dogs to get the expended fish off the range (or in the case of air-dropped fish - out of the mud) and back to the shop for refurbishment. Anyone who rode their seaplane to Nanaimo, was likely traumatized for life.

Acoustic range operations have moved to the quieter waters of Alaska: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...ngton%20State.

And I couldn't agree more - the PNW is gorgeous. I first arrived there from Pearl to offload A-3s in November '79 and instantly fell in love with the beauty of the place.

CC

A shot taken during my last week working at Bangor. The Michigan came in for a PERSTRAN in the Strait of Juan DeFuca and I was onboard a torpedo retriever permanently moored at John Wayne marina near Sequim. I drove up, jumped on the TR and we met them a few miles offshore to give them mail and fresh produce. I walked to the hatch and they handed me a locked satchel of classified data - (no ID check!) then I returned to my POV and drove back to the base as they reversed course to complete their patrol. A typical day at work and a fun way to spend four hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	727 PersTran (7).jpg
Views:	283
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	143006

Name:	727 PersTran (1).jpg
Views:	282
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	143007

Name:	727 PersTran (4).jpg
Views:	276
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	143008

Click image for larger version  Name:	727 PersTran (9).jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.0 KB ID:	143002
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CC Clarke; 08-24-2020, 07:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CC Clarke
    started a topic Type 1 Kaiten (Heaven Shaker)

Type 1 Kaiten (Heaven Shaker)

Did a gratis 3D modeling/animation job a decade ago for the Undersea Warfare Museum which was ten minutes from my house. Here are a few reference shots and some of my test renders. It's a great museum (free too!) just outside the gate of the Keyport Weapons Station. Their Type 1 is the only known example remaining, Half-submarine with a Long Lance torpedo afterbody; they were cheap and quick to manufacture. If anyone ever needs reference material to build one of these, I have a lot of hi-res reference shots from "behind the ropes".

The single occupant was the CO/Navigator/Engineer/Weapons and Diving Officer. For trim, it's likely he shifted his (very large) cajones fwd and aft while sitting on the CG.

CCC

Click image for larger version  Name:	h78668.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.1 KB ID:	142969

Click image for larger version  Name:	Top View - DownSized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.2 KB ID:	142970

Click image for larger version  Name:	Periscope Upper Seal - Downsized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.0 KB ID:	142971

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screws Upper 2 - Downsized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.5 KB ID:	142972

Click image for larger version  Name:	Aft Stbd-Downsized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	142973

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bow - Downsized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	142974

Click image for larger version  Name:	Upper Hatch 15-Downsized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.4 KB ID:	142975

Click image for larger version  Name:	Lower Hatch 3-Downsized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	142976

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ships Control Station Looking Aft.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.5 KB ID:	142977

Click image for larger version  Name:	Midships - Downsized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	142978

Click image for larger version  Name:	Clay  Bow Stbd.jpg Views:	0 Size:	24.5 KB ID:	142979

Click image for larger version  Name:	Clay Stbd Aft.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.2 KB ID:	142980
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Afterbody Detail.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.0 KB ID:	142981

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sail Weld Detail 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	142983

Name:	Fwd Air Flask Cutaway.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	142984
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CC Clarke; 08-23-2020, 02:32 PM.
Working...